Author Topic: I found a problem Avast antivirus and its killing Ad Muncher  (Read 3777 times)

timarose

I sent a letter to Ad Muncher and this is what they said.

Hello Tim,

It's a false positive. Avast needs to fix it. There's nothing we can do about it.

You'll have to exclude Ad Muncher until they fix it.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Cole

My Letter

I’m running Avast antivirus and its killing Ad Muncher.

I took a snapshot of it and uploaded the pic so you guys could see what it is doing.

Go to this link to see the snapshot

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8527/avastrb2.jpg

Fellwalker

Re: I found a problem Avast antivirus and its killing Ad Muncher
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 07:37:44 PM »
Ad Muncher has been a great program for several years for me as a registered user.

I have reported this to Avast, and also to Ad Muncher. 
Avast are stony silent.  Have you contacted them?

Jeff from Ad Muncher got back to me almost immediately, saying
"by Jeff on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:35 am

This is a false positive.

Ad Muncher can't be infected with a virus without it failing to load and letting you know of the infection.

Avast needs to fix their detection, for now you'll have to exclude Ad Muncher until they do."

I've tried to exclude both Admunch.exe and AM-install.exe, but it makes no difference. Avast still over reacts and prevents me from loading this excellent program.

Fellwalker

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 07:40:07 PM »
On another topic there is this reply
false positive alert will be fixed in next VPS 080713-0
I am looking forward to being able to use AM again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 07:42:48 PM »
Avast are stony silent.
This false positive is being solved for sure. Why do you think they're not working?
The best things in life are free.

Fellwalker

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 08:48:57 PM »
Avast are stony silent.
This false positive is being solved for sure. Why do you think they're not working?
I thought they were not working because they had not responded to a support ticket.
I had originally sought help through the technical support centre on the Avast web site, which seemed to be the obvious place to look.  I had searched and there was no mention of admuncher on it.
Having submitted the ticket, I can supposedly review its progress.  It remains as status "received". A note above the ticket list tells me "Listed below are the Tickets submitted by you. You can click on a Ticket subject to view the Ticket history." BUT THERE IS NO SUBJECT SHOWN, so I cannot do what it suggests.
It was only later that i found the user forum, and from there it seems obvious that Avast are working.
I'm not sure why the support centre exists, if the support is actually given through the avast!webforum. It sure confused me and made me consider moving from avast to a different anti virus.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 09:10:49 PM »
I thought they were not working because they had not responded to a support ticket.
I see.

I had originally sought help through the technical support centre on the Avast web site, which seemed to be the obvious place to look.
I won't be surprised that the forums will be faster than them.

It sure confused me and made me consider moving from avast to a different anti virus.
In fact, next virus database update will correct this false positive. Sorry for the inconvenience.
The best things in life are free.