Author Topic: memory.dmp  (Read 4053 times)

brutus1

memory.dmp
« on: July 27, 2008, 05:26:14 AM »
I got my lap back from HP for replacement of a MB just 2 days ago. I got it back with a fresh install of Vista Home Premium. I loaded ZoneAlarm first, Avast Home and then Spybot search & Destroy in that order. I then started loading legal and standard programs. Tonight, after I had desided I had just about all my apps loaded, I defragged the drive, tuned the regestry, emptied the recycle bin and started a scan with Avast. Then I went out for dinner. When I came back, there was a message stating I had a virus in C:\windows\memory.dmp. It's called Curse-IV-400. From the little I've found out about it, it is dangerous, it spreads and it's hard to get rid of.

I would do the "Delete" or "Repair" option(s) but I don't know enough about memory.dmp. Can I just delete the memory dump file? Is this a false positive? Should I like wash my hands after touching the keyboard?  :P Until I either learn more or get an answer, I think I'll tell Avast! to ignore it. What say you?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: memory.dmp
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 02:53:07 PM »
I would delete it as the memory.dmp file is redundant and only of use to someone with the right tools and skill to analyse the dump. On a crash a memory.dmp file is created (this could contain a virus in memory at the time) this file will be over written if it exists or created if it doesn't.

So IMHO your best option is to simply delete it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security