Author Topic: Avast and Symantec  (Read 15689 times)

wyrmrider

Re: Avast and Symantec
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 12:59:36 AM »
Congrats
Symantec Corporate good choice for you but it does not play nice with any AV that has to be installed
so stick with the ones I mentioned - I think you already know the players- also F-Protect has been doing good lately with some of the newer baddies
all the rest of your protfolio is spot on
you are correct
spysweeper, spyware doctor and counterspy do use some resources but they also do a lot of work when loaded as real time protection
perhaps Scotty the Win Patrol watchdog should be on patrol
or one of the prevention tools like SSM or Process Guard
does not t-timer work for you?

maiki

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 01:57:30 AM »
Congrats
Symantec Corporate good choice for you but it does not play nice with any AV that has to be installed
so stick with the ones I mentioned - I think you already know the players- also F-Protect has been doing good lately with some of the newer baddies
all the rest of your protfolio is spot on
you are correct
spysweeper, spyware doctor and counterspy do use some resources but they also do a lot of work when loaded as real time protection
perhaps Scotty the Win Patrol watchdog should be on patrol
or one of the prevention tools like SSM or Process Guard
does not t-timer work for you?

Yes, teatimer is cool. I don't use it all the time though. I don't like to have too many background programs running all the time. That's one reason I thought Avast might be cool--having both antivirus and antispy in one background app, eliminating the need for two different ones. (Still using other on-demand scanners, but only Avast in the background.) But it doesn't look like it's meant to be--I'm not going to go to so much trouble, just to try it out.

Why are you so sure that the problem between Symantec and Avast is Symantec's fault?   Seems to me, that as thoroughly as I've disabled it, Symantec isn't running at all, in any way shape or form. Avast starts up, scans for any installed AV programs, notices that Symantec is on the system, although not at all running, so decides that it cannot start its background AV, not to conflict with the Sym background AV, although the latter is not running at all. (In other words, a "false positive"  of other background AV apps.)

My guess is, if Avast background scanner would allow itself to run, and not terminate with that error message, it would have no problem running at all (with Symantec installed but not running, completely disabled). So, which app is to blame for Avast's terminating itself. IMO, that problem lies with Avast. (Although it seems chic on this board to blast Symantec.)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 03:01:14 AM »
<<  Why are you so sure that the problem between Symantec and Avast is Symantec's fault?   Seems to me, that as thoroughly as I've disabled it, Symantec isn't running at all, in any way shape or form. Avast starts up, scans for any installed AV programs, notices that Symantec is on the system, although not at all running, so decides that it cannot start its background AV, not to conflict with the Sym background AV, although the latter is not running at all. (In other words, a "false positive"  of other background AV apps.)

My guess is, if Avast background scanner would allow itself to run, and not terminate with that error message, it would have no problem running at all (with Symantec installed but not running, completely disabled). So, which app is to blame for Avast's terminating itself. IMO, that problem lies with Avast. (Although it seems chic on this board to blast Symantec.)  >>

It is for the most part common knowledge that 2 Anti-Viruses in a computer is just NOT a good idea.  You just can't be sure of what's going to go on behind the scenes.  You don't have to take the word of those here trying to help you out.  Google the topic and you're bound to find many more opinions that will vouch for what the various Posters here have suggested and commented on.

I've witnessed first hand a couple of months back what 2 Anti-Viruses in a computer can do.  AOL Safety & Security Center and NOD32 in a computer at the same time rendered a computer almost immobilized ... slowed it down to about as slow as you can get a computer and still have it be theoretically operating.  Removed both of those and installed avast! and brought that computer back to life.

It's NOT just some Throw of a Dart theoretically, half-baked opinions / advice that the Posters here have suggested.  It's solid PROVEN advice.  But, we're NOT here for twisting arms.  People can come in here and respectfully ask for help / advice and those here who can help ... WILL.  They've helped me many times here in my short stint, be it with actual problems or just answers to questions.  No one here is going to force someone to take the advice.  The advice will be there available for the taking ... or it can be politely passed upon / declined.  No need for strong-armed demands.  If one REALLY wants to try something and the method by which that will be accomplished is already known ... one is the one who has to sacrifice and accomodate that situation.  Otherwise, it's obvious one really doesn't want it.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

wyrmrider

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 03:44:15 AM »
OK
Bottom Line
ONE start on boot up real time AV
and
ONE Anti spyware in realtime
(most of the free ones do NOT offer real time protection)(t-timer excepted and there are other ways)
you could also have an anti Trojan such as free a-squared or paid Trojan Hunter
there is also Trojan Remover but I am not familiar with it  EWIDO was on this list but is no longer EASILY available as a separate program from the AVG folks and the good TDS-3 is long gone

have as many on demand scanners as you wish
just watch for false positives with ALL of them
quarantine do not delete/ remove

scotty says arf and will play nice with everyone

maiki

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 03:51:43 AM »
<<  Why are you so sure that the problem between Symantec and Avast is Symantec's fault?   Seems to me, that as thoroughly as I've disabled it, Symantec isn't running at all, in any way shape or form. Avast starts up, scans for any installed AV programs, notices that Symantec is on the system, although not at all running, so decides that it cannot start its background AV, not to conflict with the Sym background AV, although the latter is not running at all. (In other words, a "false positive"  of other background AV apps.)

My guess is, if Avast background scanner would allow itself to run, and not terminate with that error message, it would have no problem running at all (with Symantec installed but not running, completely disabled). So, which app is to blame for Avast's terminating itself. IMO, that problem lies with Avast. (Although it seems chic on this board to blast Symantec.)  >>

It is for the most part common knowledge that 2 Anti-Viruses in a computer is just NOT a good idea.  You just can't be sure of what's going to go on behind the scenes.  You don't have to take the word of those here trying to help you out.  Google the topic and you're bound to find many more opinions that will vouch for what the various Posters here have suggested and commented on.

I've witnessed first hand a couple of months back what 2 Anti-Viruses in a computer can do.  AOL Safety & Security Center and NOD32 in a computer at the same time rendered a computer almost immobilized ... slowed it down to about as slow as you can get a computer and still have it be theoretically operating.  Removed both of those and installed avast! and brought that computer back to life.

It's NOT just some Throw of a Dart theoretically, half-baked opinions / advice that the Posters here have suggested.  It's solid PROVEN advice.  But, we're NOT here for twisting arms.  People can come in here and respectfully ask for help / advice and those here who can help ... WILL.  They've helped me many times here in my short stint, be it with actual problems or just answers to questions.  No one here is going to force someone to take the advice.  The advice will be there available for the taking ... or it can be politely passed upon / declined.  No need for strong-armed demands.  If one REALLY wants to try something and the method by which that will be accomplished is already known ... one is the one who has to sacrifice and accomodate that situation.  Otherwise, it's obvious one really doesn't want it.

I would suggest you read the thread more carefully, before reacting so defensively. (Are you an Avast employee, by the way?) I understand that it would not be a good idea to have two AV background scanners running at once. I have already said that more than once. That is why I throughly disabled all Symantec background scanning, in any way , shape, or form, made absolutely sure that no Symantec services, drivers, or processes were running, before I installed Avast. Do you get that, now? (I don't really want to have to keep repeating the same thing over and over, because someone didn't read it the first time, and just guessed what they think I wrote, without really reading it. I explained all this carefully in the very first post, then had to keep repeating it, when people didn't seem to have read what I wrote.)

With Symantec not running in any way, shape , or form, no Symantec drivers loaded, etc---why should that be a problem for Avast, that Symantec files are still on the system, or that it has not been officially uninstalled?

So yes, I would consider this to be a problem with Avast, which will lose you potential users, as I'm sure others will want to try Avast without first uninstalling their present AV. (They should just be made aware, as I already was, that one needs to disable the background scanning of other AV, before installing Avast.)

In fact, here is a post by another user, who asked the exact same question:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17412.0

All the responses told him he had to uninstall Symantec. That poster did not write again. He probably did not want to uninstall Symantec before trying Avast, and uninstalled Avast instead.  He was smarter than me, in not wasting so much time writing about it, as I have.

You don't have to keep telling me that two AV background scanners should not run at the same time. I made it very clear repeatedly in this thread that I am fully aware of that, and that's why I disabled Symantec first.

Once again, my suggestion to Avast--you shouldn't prevent your program from running, just because it  detects that another AV program is installed, if that other AV app is not actually running. That will only lose you customers, who want to try your product.

I hope you understood me this time.

maiki

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 03:59:06 AM »
OK
Bottom Line
ONE start on boot up real time AV
and
ONE Anti spyware in realtime
(most of the free ones do NOT offer real time protection)(t-timer excepted and there are other ways)
you could also have an anti Trojan such as free a-squared or paid Trojan Hunter
there is also Trojan Remover but I am not familiar with it  EWIDO was on this list but is no longer EASILY available as a separate program from the AVG folks and the good TDS-3 is long gone

have as many on demand scanners as you wish
just watch for false positives with ALL of them
quarantine do not delete/ remove

scotty says arf and will play nice with everyone

Agreed. But notice, you wrote: "Have as many on demand scanners as you wish".

The fact is, with Symantec's background scanning disabled, it is only an on-demand scanner, so should not present a problem to Avast.

It seems, that if Symantec is installed on the computer, Avast assumes that its background scanner must be running, so won't run its own. While, although that is probably true in most cases (that computers that have Symantec installed, have the background scanner running), it will not be true in all cases, so such an automatic assumption should not be made.

I hope someone from Avast heard that suggestion. Now I should stop taking so much time writing about it, and uninstall Avast, and forget about it. Thank you for your replies.

wyrmrider

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 04:06:08 AM »
OK clean out YOUR ears
even with Symantec disabled it's still There
and if it has any registry entries leftover from being "disabled" or "un-installed" its leftovers will conflict with every other antivirus
that's why they have the removal tool
there is a solution
use symantec as your installed AV
use the 5-7 scanners that work well as on demand for on demand back up scanners
be happy
lots of important issues to work on- such as the recent malware that kills most of the anti spyware and AV scanners- including symantec/ norton

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 04:34:02 AM »
I would suggest you read the thread more carefully, before reacting so defensively. (Are you an Avast employee, by the way?) I understand that it would not be a good idea to have two AV background scanners running at once. I have already said that more than once. That is why I throughly disabled all Symantec background scanning, in any way , shape, or form, made absolutely sure that no Symantec services, drivers, or processes were running, before I installed Avast. Do you get that, now? (I don't really want to have to keep repeating the same thing over and over, because someone didn't read it the first time, and just guessed what they think I wrote, without really reading it. I explained all this carefully in the very first post, then had to keep repeating it, when people didn't seem to have read what I wrote.)

With Symantec not running in any way, shape , or form, no Symantec drivers loaded, etc---why should that be a problem for Avast, that Symantec files are still on the system, or that it has not been officially uninstalled?

So yes, I would consider this to be a problem with Avast, which will lose you potential users, as I'm sure others will want to try Avast without first uninstalling their present AV. (They should just be made aware, as I already was, that one needs to disable the background scanning of other AV, before installing Avast.)

In fact, here is a post by another user, who asked the exact same question:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17412.0

All the responses told him he had to uninstall Symantec. That poster did not write again. He probably did not want to uninstall Symantec before trying Avast, and uninstalled Avast instead.  He was smarter than me, in not wasting so much time writing about it, as I have.

You don't have to keep telling me that two AV background scanners should not run at the same time. I made it very clear repeatedly in this thread that I am fully aware of that, and that's why I disabled Symantec first.

Once again, my suggestion to Avast--you shouldn't prevent your program from running, just because it  detects that another AV program is installed, if that other AV app is not actually running. That will only lose you customers, who want to try your product.

I hope you understood me this time.

Nope!  I'm NOT an avast! employee and neither are the other people here who have tried to help you.  Everyone is trying to help you with HOW you can go about accomplishing the goal of trying out avast! and your posts have been nothing but attitude, doubting / contradicting people's advice and suggestions.  You keep throwing out your condescending --- "Got its ..."  and "Do you get that nows," Etc.  Just one big ole Disrespect Fest.  Most people come in here and ask respectfully for advice, help, assistance.  And most are appreciative of what the people here offer.  You seem intent on having the people here AND avast! bend to your will and to be told what you want to hear.  Unless YOU work for Symantec, you cannot possibly know what all is going on under the hood of Norton Anti-Virus.

You made it crystal clear that you're wasting your time pursuing the tryout of avast! as per the Posters' advice here.  Their advice, their procedure on how to tryout avast! is NOT going to change.  Thus, there are 2 options:  You take their advice and try it ... or you don't take their advice.  Questioning, doubting their suggestions and knowledge and demanding avast! change ... is NOT gonna make another option suddenly materialize.  The solution is simple.  It's obvious avast! is NOT what you were looking for.  Things aren't always what one thought they'd be.  No use wasting time trying to force the issue ... trying to force avast! to be what you want it to be.  avast! is what it is.  It comes as is.  It's gonna work for some people ... and for other people, it won't be quite what they had in mind.  Like I heard raves about Firefox.  I tried it and found for ME, it was NOT remotely what I thought it'd be.  So, I moved on.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

wyrmrider

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 04:39:40 AM »
Now you'll get him to say what he really feels
TWO other posts just in on the same subject
conflicts with anti-virus programs
one with McAfee - another who hogs the system and will not let anyone else co exist

Maiki
there is an Answer
RUN VISTA