Author Topic: Networkshield not working?  (Read 3409 times)

docroland

Networkshield not working?
« on: August 24, 2008, 06:09:46 PM »
Network shield is set to Normal. Should it be on High? Or does this slow browsing speed  down? I thought there was a had been a little "ring" note from the PC when on a certain site. No pop up warning appeared, no klaxon noise. I did a full scan and there was a virus. 1) Does Network shield miss viruses which Full scan picks up? 2) Does it depend on the setting for Network shield? 3) Is once a week full scan appropriate? Thanks  Roland

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Networkshield not working?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 06:33:35 PM »
Changing the network shield to High will make no difference as the slider is more cosmetic so the providers look the same.

The network shield is only monitoring certain ports that are prone to malware exploits. The web shield is what monitors your browsing traffic and avast doesn't issue any ring note, just scans and alerts to infection in the form of a Klaxon as you mention.

The resident on-access scanners lessen the need for on-demand scans, but I still do a weekly Standard scan without Archives selected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

docroland

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 07:05:01 PM »
Thanks a lot. OK should have said WebShield. A dialogue box had appeared saying my list of certified dowload programmes (or some such odd thing) would be updated, accept or cancel. Pressed cancel but thought it was probably phoney. Hence full scan. No alert at the time. Hence query if should be set to high.  Roland

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 09:01:07 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

I can't recall anything like that and it sounds to generic (non-specific) to me too so it is possible it is trying to catch out the unwary. Unless of course you have some software installed that monitors certain software, which based on your answer I doubt.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode and report the findings (it should product a log file).
1. SUPERantispyware On-Demand only in free version.
2. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware freeware version http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe, right click on the link and select Save As or Save File (As depending on your browser), save it to a location where you can find it easily later.
3. Also Try this tool, RogueRemover, available here http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

docroland

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 09:28:41 PM »
have Adaware (paid for) It has resident programme Adwatch and scheduled weekly scan. ?should spot spyware?
just to check earlier reply though - setting Webshield to Normal or High makes no significant difference?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 09:43:19 PM »
AdWatch is a common culprit (among others) for removing start-up entries and the ashDisp.exe (the avast icon) is a user start-up entry. So check and see if there is an entry blocking ashDisp.exe.

AdAware I'm sorry to say is no longer in the premier league of anti-spyware, the others mentioned are streets ahead of it IMHO.

I have the web shield set to high though I don't know if there is any significant difference, it certainly won't hurt.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 09:50:57 PM »
Setting Webshield to Normal or High makes no significant difference?
Against spyware? I don't think so.
Standard Shield will take care of it. Normal level is the best balance between performance and protection.
The best things in life are free.