Author Topic: Activating Avast to scan Outlook Express  (Read 7017 times)

bookmanca

Activating Avast to scan Outlook Express
« on: October 02, 2008, 04:15:01 AM »
Hi .  New member here .  I have tried to follow the instructions provided by Avast to configure my Outlook Express mail program so that Avast can scan it for viruses .  However , after trying numerous times I have had no success .  I have Windows Me ( Millenium ) platform and Outlook Express 6 installed .  Could anyone offer some help with this ?  I would really appreciate any help .  Thanks

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Activating Avast to scan Outlook Express
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 04:49:17 AM »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user

bookmanca

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 05:48:13 AM »
Hi .  Thanks for the replies . I have followed the instructions in the mail protection wizard to the letter ( actually I tried several times ) .  However avast is still not scanning my email .  I have avast home edition 4.8 . I have no idea what else to try . 

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 06:29:18 AM »
Well, you could give us some more information about your operating system and some more details of your emails accounts (ISP, ports you use for access etc).

Please do not reveal your personal account details, there may be very good reasons why you are not seeing your mail being scanned.

bookmanca

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 06:45:57 AM »
Hi .  Here are the details requested :

Server Port Numbers :

Outgoing Mail ( SMTP ) : 25

Incoming Mail ( POP3 ) : 995

Both of these servers require a secure connection ( SSL ) .

As I mentioned before my platform is Windows Me .

Thanks .

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 08:34:18 AM »
The whole point of having (SSL) secure email connections is that nobody and and no service (including avast) can scan them (think of your connection to your bank account).

Your operating system is irrelevant here.

If you want avast to scan the email delivered via secure connections then, at present, you need the services of a third party free program called STunnel to manage the secure connections and allow the email to be scanned securely inside your system.  If you need help with Stunnel we will be happy to assist you.  The avast team advise that the function currently provided by STunnel will be provided internally in the next major update of avast (version 5). 

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 08:49:40 AM »
New versions of avast! scan emails transparently (unless they go through SSL) so changing those settings will break the scanning...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

ProgrammerGuy

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 02:22:14 PM »
'bookmanca'; let me throw something out here...

Do you have multiple email accounts that you are downloading from through OE?  ???
If so; does one of these accounts use the 'standard' POP3 connection: 110?
If so; does that account that uses the SSL connection allow auto-forwarding of email to another email account?

I have a Gmail account that I auto-forward to another email address that does not use an SSL/TLS connection and the messages are downloaded and scanned with Avast!... ;)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 04:30:27 PM »
You might also try using Stunnel
Do a Forum search and you'll find may posts on the subject.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

bookmanca

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 07:37:37 PM »
Hi .  I looked at the STunnel site and it seems fairly complicated to achieve what I am trying to set up for OE .  I think I will either wait for the next version of avast which incorporates this or try some other solution .  Thanks for all the replies .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 10:54:47 PM »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bookmanca

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 01:27:51 AM »
Thanks for the links .  I will give them a look see when I have some time .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 01:30:36 AM »
You're welcome, by all accounts it isn't too difficult to set-up. Though I have never had to do it all my email is on the standard ports and no SSL ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bookmanca

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 01:56:12 AM »
Thanks again .