Author Topic: No blue icon in system tray, just gray icon  (Read 3804 times)

chiathomas

No blue icon in system tray, just gray icon
« on: October 22, 2008, 08:48:32 PM »
While installing avast a screen came up and said : When gray icon in tray turns blue you will be fully protected. My icon stays gray, has never turned blue. How can I get the blue icon?  Also taking a long time to load most web pages.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: No blue icon in system tray, just gray icon
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 10:10:52 PM »
It depends what you call blue as there are many shades of blue, there is also a 3d effect shading which makes it appear blue/grey. It also depends on several other things, graphics card, monitor, background colour of the taskbar, etc. see image 1.

The main thing is not the colour but the functioning of avast, when scanning the avast icon rotates, the various providers (detailed view) Last scanned: and Scanned total: files would be updated as scanning takes place.

What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image2 ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

chiathomas

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 10:34:48 PM »
In task manager: ashdisp.exe is running. As to color of blue the desktop icon is blue but not the taskbar. Have seen Avast on other computers and the tray icon is blue, not gray. Does anyone have any doubt about the color of their icon?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 11:46:15 PM »
Well I gave you an image to look at (click the image to expand them), the colour really is immaterial, as for other systems, graphics cards, monitors, etc. etc. from one to the other things could look different.

If it wasn't working there would be a big red circle with a bar through it and most like an error notice also.

The ashDisp.exe is probably the least important when it comes to function (obviously with out it you won't see the icon) as it isn't a part of the protection, ashServ.exe is the main scanning engine.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security