Author Topic: Avast Disrupts Google  (Read 2315 times)

AzatiPrime

Avast Disrupts Google
« on: November 03, 2008, 08:22:42 AM »
Recently every few days www.google.com won't load for a few minutes.  Firefox gives an error that "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."  I finally tracked it down to the avast web shield.  Disabling it will immediately fix the problem and starting it will bring the error back.  Google isn't on a black list so I'm not sure what's going on here.  Any suggestions?  I want to be secure but I need to use google.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Disrupts Google
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 02:21:36 PM »
I get this message to avast forums sometimes... not Google...
I can't debug or troubleshoot it so... hope anybody else could help.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Disrupts Google
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 03:55:24 PM »
What version of avast are you using, the latest regular release is 4.8.1229 ?

Well if it truly were the web shield then it wouldn't be every few days, it would be every time.

avast doesn't block, but alerts to infection so again if the web shield were the true culprit you would be getting alerts and not only that it would be blocking all http pages, it isn't selective unless you add google.com to the URL Blocking list and in that case you would get a message that it was blocked because of URL blocking.

When there is some kind of unexplained block and as I said the web shield doesn't block, it is down to some sort of conflict with another application, disabling the web shield removes one party in the conflict so no conflict, but what it doesn't do is confirm web shield is the true cause.

Check this, although this too would be a permanent not intermittent problem - HOSTS file redirect - 127.0.0.1 check your HOSTS file using notepad or a text editor of your choice, C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts or do a search for HOSTS to find it if not there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

What security add-ons do you use in firefox ?

Google operates a local redirect so if I click on a link to google.com.like the one in your post it will redirect to my local google.co.uk page (see image). So there might be something in this redirection that is being checked by a security add-on and the web shield causing a conflict.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security