Author Topic: Newbie with major probs!  (Read 4266 times)

spanishhorse

Newbie with major probs!
« on: November 22, 2008, 08:55:56 PM »
I've just downloaded Avast 4.8 free version.
It has now be running for 1 day and 4 hrs (admittedly overnight as well), I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever end.  ???

It reads,
scanned count -30672
Infected count -80

I also just keep adding the infected ones to the chest...is that correct?

I really have no idea what I'm doing so any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Newbie with major probs!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 11:06:02 PM »
Is that the Boot-Time scan (see image) or an on-demand scan ?

That is a horrendous length of time so your system must be heavily infected/compromised as the infected count suggests.

Yes adding to the chest is by far the best option.
Can you give some examples of the infections, malware name, file name and location ?

If this isn't a boot-time scan and windows is running normally this could be why it is taking so long, fighting other applications (see below) and the malware it is finding. Then I would suggest you end the scan and schedule a boot-time scan.
If you have XP, vista32bit or Win2k, you could enable a boot time scan. Right click the avast icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, a memory scan will take place followed by the opening of the Simple User Interface, Menu, 'Schedule boot-time scan...' Or see http://www.digitalred.com/avast-boot-time.php.
When you schedule a boot-time scan you can select advanced options (see image 2) which will allow you to set the default option to send to the chest. This could help so you don't have to constantly select send to chest, though it isn't without risk.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
What other security software do you have on this system ?
What is your firewall ?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 11:07:33 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 11:11:29 PM »
It isn't a good idea just send all files to Chest, specially if they're system ones.
Maybe you should post here which files are they...
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 11:17:55 PM »
Hence the this isn't without risk, but this system is seriously compromised already, perhaps from a file infecter, which may mean a reformat and reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spanishhorse

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 09:42:18 AM »
Thanks for your help..
I think it is an on demand scan I am running.
Most of the files in the chest are from c:\windows\temp and are win32 adware-gen with 2 being trojan.
I now have 100 in the chest.
I'm running windows xp.
I had avg but I couldn't update it so uninstalled.
Where do I find out what my firewall is?
Should I end this scan?
Sorry for all the questions but I have lots of work info on here and am terrified of loosing it all!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 10:06:09 AM »
Most of the files in the chest are from c:\windows\temp
Ok. No problems.

Where do I find out what my firewall is?
You should be using the Windows Firewall (and not a third party).

Should I end this scan?
No, but after it finishes, please, post the name/path of the files outside of the temp folder you've posted above.
The best things in life are free.

spanishhorse

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
Ok I'll leave it running,I guess it will finish at some point?? ???
Yes it is Window firewall.
I'll be sure to post when its done...thanks again

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 03:03:01 PM »
It would be advantageous to periodically clear out your Temp files and folders, doing that before your scan could have saved you a lot of grief.

CCleaner - Temp File Cleaner, etc.

The windows firewall XP firewall is usually good at keeping your ports stealthed (hidden) it provides no outbound protection and you should consider a third party firewall.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

- There are many freeware firewalls such as, Comodo (care required now it is a suite not to install the anti-virus element), PCTools Firewall Plus, Jetico, etc. - Zone Alarm free works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface, however, the free version is becoming bloated with trial ware and is also crippled as far as outbound protection goes In the Program Control, configuration area, the slider will only goes as far as Medium protection, if you want more you have to buy the Pro version.

See A Forum discussion on free firewalls http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30808.0
See http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php.

Personally I would stop it as it really shouldn't take this long. But we need a little more information about your system, RAM, CPU (intel core 2 duo, AMD 6400, etc.) your hard disk size and amount of data, etc.

Download CCleaner and run it to clear out the temp files. Schedule a boot-time scan as mentioned in my previous post above, hopefully that should be quicker and give you a head start.

ProgrammerGuy

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 03:50:57 PM »
I have a little program called "CleanTemp" running on my system which does a pretty good job of keeping 'Temp" files cleaned up...