Author Topic: Finally firefox has a webbug detector...  (Read 12649 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Finally firefox has a webbug detector...
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 04:03:55 AM »
The one site I would absolutely expect to have them is the BBC. 

(/rant on)

When you have to answer to moronic politicians for your funding you absolutely have to be able to justify your existence with irrefutable data on your usage.  There are many (and their bought and paid for political hacks) who complain the BBC has no right to provide information over the Web since it might compete with free market offerings.  The BBC remains (IMHO) one source of light in a world where the media (in my country and others) has largely become the putrid organ of a geriatric Australian (and others like him) with very decided political views pushed by his media empire for his profit rather than any attempt at fair reporting.

(/rant off)

Your ever humble,
Alan 

YoKenny

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 04:33:36 AM »
Hi Tech,

I agree with you, we will leave this add-on for those interested. I for one I am always interested what goes on behind my back inside a browser with the 0x0 or 1x1 pixels Web bug I might click. So I expect for those with the Web developer extension, I expect they would like to have this FoxBeacon info.
Later I might present you with a quick and easy list you can paste into ABP Preferences to block the category three or dangerous third party Web bugs. A good thing is the majority of sites with NoScript and ABP installed do not show much Web bugs, but there are some sites that you would not expect that have them (BBC news),
These are or rather were the major Web bug domains:
doubleclick.net   2988   script[11.2%], img[98.7%], iframe[60.0%], layer[51.4%], im[0.2%], div[0.2%], ilayer[0.2%], frame[0.4%], la[0.2%], s[0.2%]
akamai.net   2253   img[89.6%], script[14.0%], input[27.5%], embed[1.4%], im[0.5%]
linkexchange.com   1851   img[98.2%], iframe[47.1%], frame[0.1%], 1000[0.1%]
bfast.com   1737   img[99.4%], input[0.9%], iframe[4.5%], script[5.1%], frame[0.5%], i[0.1%]
demon.co.uk   1270   img[98.7%], frame[1.3%], ul[0.1%]
extreme-dm.com   1210   img[100.0%]
hitbox.com   1162   img[99.8%], input[0.4%], script[14.8%], iframe[6.0%]
linksynergy.com   881   img[92.7%], frame[0.8%], script[7.0%]
akamaitech.net   819   input[20.0%], img[96.0%], script[4.0%], embed[1.3%]
commission-junction.com   736   img[99.1%], frame[0.7%], image[0.2%], im[0.2%]
wunderground.com   732   img[99.8%], frame[0.5%]

polonus
Many of those sites can be blocked with a HOSTS file.
I use hpHosts and MVPS HOSTS files:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm <== has a good description of the HOSTS file and its use

I manage them with HostsMan and I use its HostsServer proxy to speed up browsing:
http://www.abelhadigital.com

TheSpirit

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 09:17:04 AM »
The BBC remains (IMHO) one source of light in a world where the media (in my country and others) has largely become the putrid organ of a geriatric Australian (and others like him) with very decided political views pushed by his media empire for his profit rather than any attempt at fair reporting.
Yes, and that's why BBC is facing severe cut-backs. We should never discuss good public services. Some politician might spot it and think that there is room for further cost reductions.  ;)

YoKenny

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 12:14:07 PM »
The BBC remains (IMHO) one source of light in a world where the media (in my country and others) has largely become the putrid organ of a geriatric Australian (and others like him) with very decided political views pushed by his media empire for his profit rather than any attempt at fair reporting.
Yes, and that's why BBC is facing severe cut-backs. We should never discuss good public services. Some politician might spot it and think that there is room for further cost reductions.  ;)
I love the TV show Yes Minister

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 04:01:41 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

Do not understand this, because I run FoxBeacon and the FoxBeacon Menu nest to NoScript in the latest nightly build:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b2pre) Gecko/20081121 Minefield/3.1b2pre ID:20081121034512
The add-on runs superb on ff 3. Because of NoScript and ABP, ABP Watcher, and Element Helper add-ons, I do not see that many Web Bugs with FoxBeacon, but I know now on the MS page I have to additionally block this third domain Web bug:
http://m.webtrends.com/dcs4f6vsz99k7mayiw2jzupyr_1s2e/njs.gif?dcsuri=/nojavascript&WT.js=No
Open blockable items in ABP, locate the Web bug and click, bye bye,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!