Author Topic: Script Blocker and Bank of america site  (Read 4146 times)

kmc1499

Script Blocker and Bank of america site
« on: December 05, 2008, 05:17:01 AM »
Hi all
I recently reloaded my computer and added Avast 4.8 pro. Since then i have had no access to my backs site. Once it tries to login after the verification screen it says page cannot be displayed. I am able to log on to the site from other computers. I was able to log in one time when i disabled the Script blocker but that solution only worked that one time. Since then i have removed the program and installed norton. I am still unable to log into the site. My question is is there any left over setting or registry keys that i may have missed?  I have tried IE7 firefox, safari and Opera browsers and i have att dsl at home.

any help will be greatly appreciated. thank you

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Script Blocker and Bank of america site
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 05:38:15 AM »
I am a user of avast, I support a number of other users of avast.  One other thing we all have in common is that we are all users of the same bank as you. 

None of us has ever had any problems logging on to the Bank of America website with avast running on our systems.  Had any of my users experienced difficulty I would have heard loud and clear.

Just a few seconds ago ... to confirm that ... I accessed the Bank of America website.  Sign in proceeded as usual and successfully.

You advised that you have uninstalled avast and reinstalled Norton.

You can further reassure yourself that you have eliminated all traces of avast by downloading and running the avast! uninstall utility.

I hope that assists you to access the Bank of America website again.  Please let us know how you get on.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 05:39:57 AM by alanrf »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 02:49:01 PM »
Well in most cases logging into a bank site is done through HTTPS secure encrypted web pages and in this case avast doesn't scan that content, it can't as it is encrypted, so there is little point in trying to scan https pages.

Even if there were any left over registry settings there shouldn't be any underlying files to run and scan, etc. but you can use the uninstall utility as Alan suggests to be doubly sure.

You seem quick to jump to another AV, so I'm wondering if you had another before installing avast on this reloaded computer and if so what ?

Norton is probably one of the worst when it comes to remnants (depending on what version), based on what we see on the forums. So if you come to removing Norton that could be fun too.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kmc1499

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 05:25:51 PM »
The computer was completely reloaded and avast was the only thing on it. Im just telling you what i saw. Its Norton corporate, none of the cute menus and other stuff that pops up. i did run the uninstall tool got in to the registry deleted every "avast" and "awlil" (sp) key and it gives me the same thing.
I also ran ccleaner and deleted unused registry keys and other junk files
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 05:29:15 PM by kmc1499 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 05:38:20 PM »
I was just confirming as a conflict may have more to do with this type of problem, but that doesn't appear to be the problem.

Sorry but based on your investigations, your thorough clean out, uninstall with add remove programs and the utility plus ccleaner and a manual registry search, with no trace of avast and the problem still exists there has to be something else in the mix.

Is there anything in your firewall logs perhaps, do you have any other security tools or settings to protect the transmission of personal data ?

Is there anything in your HOSTS file relating to Bank of America ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kmc1499

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 06:18:39 PM »
Well im going to continue to work on this until i come up wit a solution. I figured it was the avast because it worked when i turned off the script blocking. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 07:15:11 PM »
As you have said it worked once but not again, that isn't consistent more coincidence or it would have worked all the time after terminating the script blocker or more so after fully uninstalling avast, so it is a mystery to me also.