Author Topic: Win 32: Trojan-gen (other)  (Read 4977 times)

THE PITTS

Win 32: Trojan-gen (other)
« on: December 23, 2008, 03:00:17 PM »
Hi, I have just downloaded avast 60 day trial and done the first scan that has uncovered this infection. As other posters I cannot do anything with it, as avast
can't send it to the chest, repair or delete the file. The file in question is:
c:\PQSC\CPS\000392\FILES\001\6A38F9.DAT

I have no idea what this file is or what it does. This PC is new to me (but old) and running Windows ME.

I have read other threads regarding this virus yet get confused as soon as anything technical is mentioned. Can anyone help?
Or let me know if it's safe to carry on using the PC without risking any confidential information.

My usual PC has just expired, so I was hoping to connect the hard drive to this borrowed machine, but with this virus on the loose, I'm a little worried.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Win 32: Trojan-gen (other)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 03:34:27 PM »
Can you upload this file (c:\PQSC\CPS\000392\FILES\001\6A38F9.DAT) to www.virustotal.com and check if it is really infected? Post the results link here.
The best things in life are free.

THE PITTS

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 04:11:47 PM »
How do I upload the file? I assume I look for it in find file, but after that...
 Actually. I'll give it a go.

It says: this is a system file and openning it may cause problems (I don't know what to open it with).
there is a tab on the properties for this file that says virus property. On this tab is a picture and the words PC-CILLIN Antivirus. Does this mean it's an antivirus file.

THE PITTS

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 04:33:25 PM »
I have sent the file as suggested. Sadly although it has analysed this before, when looked at the results, I had no idea what it meant. Just seemed to mention it has been checked? ??? ???

THE PITTS

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 04:43:07 PM »
Just tried again. The virus is discribed as: Trojan.Generic.1190386

But is it bad and if so, how do I destroy it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 05:51:02 PM »
Post the URL of the results page, that allows us to see all the results and information.

Generic detections are more prone to false detection as a generic signature (the -gen at the end of the malware name), so that is trying to catch multiple variants of the same type of malware and is a fine balance between detecting a new variant and detecting something valid as infected.

So we need to see all the results, e.g. post the URL in the address box of the results page, if it has been analysed before, always elect to have it scanned again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 06:33:54 PM »
I have sent the file as suggested. Sadly although it has analysed this before, when looked at the results, I had no idea what it meant. Just seemed to mention it has been checked? ??? ???
Can you reanalyze the file and post here the link (http:\\ ... ) of the results?

It's difficult to know what it can do, what harm does it do, just by the name of it.

On this tab is a picture and the words PC-CILLIN Antivirus. Does this mean it's an antivirus file.
Did you install PC-Cillin antivirus? ???
The best things in life are free.