Author Topic: Suspicsious activity on Outlook 2007  (Read 2202 times)

cstargio

Suspicsious activity on Outlook 2007
« on: January 31, 2009, 11:16:59 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum as well as Avast (I installed it about 2 weeks ago).  Yesterday, while Outlook 2007 was running Avast detected  suspicious email and alerted me.  Like a dummy I didn't allow Avast to block as I thought I knew the sender.  Immediately after hitting "do not block" my Outlook started downloading over two thousand email!

In a panic, I shut everything down.  After restarting (I'm running Vista) everything booted up as normal so I, once again, opened Outlook.  Same warning from Avast only this time I permitted the block.  Unfortunately, same thing happened.... 2K emails started to download so I immediately shut down Outlook.

That happened yesterday, this morning I opened Outlook and, this time, was not given any warnings by Avast but the 2K emails still tried to load.  Again, I shut down Outlook and have not opened it since.

The strange thing is Avast is not picking up anything.  Today, however, as I was surfing my 'usual' sites I noticed that none of my passwords were saved.  I'm paranoid now that all my passwords are being captured by someone, somewhere.

Any advise.  I can follow directions extremely well but not technically-saavy enough to find root cause.

Any and all help would be appreciated.  I've thought of uninstalling/reinstalling Microsoft Office but wasn't quite sure if that would be a potential fix or just exasperate the problem.

Thanks,
Cyndi
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:18:30 PM by cstargio »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Suspicsious activity on Outlook 2007
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 07:51:43 AM »
I can only advise you to check your mail from the web.  For example, if you had a comcast email address, go to the web email for comcast and see how many emails are in your mailbox.

I doubt that 2000 emails are all viruses.  You might just have a lot of spam.  You can delete all of the spam emails from the web client, then let outlook download the good emails.  Or, have outlook download the 2k emails, and delete the bad ones from there.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum