Author Topic: can't connect to internet whilst avast 4.8 is running  (Read 6109 times)

bobridget

can't connect to internet whilst avast 4.8 is running
« on: February 07, 2009, 05:01:34 AM »
Have just downloaded trial professional 4.8 avast and cannot connect to internet, email or update avast whilst on-access protection is running. If I stop on-access protection everything is OK but the computer is unprotected so can anybody help with what to do.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: can't connect to internet whilst avast 4.8 is running
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 04:18:35 PM »
What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

karrronn

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 10:57:24 AM »
I had the same problem after downloading Avast 4 Home edition today.  After the download, I could not access the internet through either IE-7 or Firefox.  I eventually solved the problem by "terminating" the Web Shield provider, with the other six providers remaining active.  My concern is that I am not getting protection while surfing the net with the Web Shield provider turned off.

I tried the fix suggested in the last post, but that did not work for me. 
I did install a new Firewall (ZoneAlarm) before I installed Avast today.  It clearly "allows" all the Avast providers.  I formerly had Norton Internet Antivirus as my security program.

My OS is XP Home Edition.

Any other ideas on how to fix this problem?

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 11:13:09 AM »
Hi, I would recommend removing the entry for WebShield (ashServ.exe) from the ZA application list. Terminate webshield and restart it again. Zone Alarm should now popup you with the question if you want to allow or deny WebShield access to the net.

Hopefully this way it will be able to correctly store it into it's database.

Lukas.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 05:02:27 PM »
Even when 'allowed' ZA can at times appear to suffere amnesia, blocking the program even when allowed, hence my suggestion to delete the entry, forsing the firewall to ask again.

My other thoughts are your aside, "I formerly had Norton Internet Antivirus as my security program."

This is notorious for leaving remnants, which can have some strange impacts, so I would suggest running this, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

karrronn

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 11:19:33 AM »
DavidR, Thanks for the Norton Removal Tool.  It did clean up some remnants for me.

Lukor, I tried your suggestion since I had incorrectly applied DavidR's advice previously.  This time I removed the ashServ.exe program from ZA.  Then I activated the Web Shield and successfully accessed the internet.  Interestingly, ZA did NOT prompt me for permission, but since I don't care if it does allow the service, I'm happy. 

Thanks again for your help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 03:08:56 PM »
You're welcome.

Though if that were my firewall I would be very disappointed as outbound protection is a cornerstone in your defence.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

So I would expect all unauthorised applications to be challenged by my firewall.
- Zone Alarm free works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface, however, the free version is becoming bloated with trial ware and is also crippled as far as outbound protection goes In the Program Control, configuration area, the slider will only goes as far as Medium protection, if you want more you have to buy the Pro version (and that could bring other issues to the party).