Author Topic: memory scan and startup items - running constantly  (Read 5523 times)

tigertim71

memory scan and startup items - running constantly
« on: February 19, 2009, 02:29:42 PM »
Hi,

I have installed the latest version of avast free home on one of my pc's which is a Win 98SE, 100 MHz, 64MB RAM.

Have not been able to do so much on start up, as the memory and start up scan starts, and renders my pc almost inoperable. If I press the stop scan, it does not do anything.

Is there any other way to disable the scan permanently?

Thanks...

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: memory scan and startup items - running constantly
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:24:10 PM »
Your specs are absolutely minimal for a full avast! installation. You can install (or "change" in "Add/remove Programs") only the 'Standard Shield' on-access scanner and not the 6 other 'Providers'
I would also suggest disabling avast auto updates for program and definitions and diligently updating manually. This will give you good basic protection with lower system overhead.

avast! does not scan at startup by default. Do you mean when you click "Start avast! antivirus"?
You can turn off this memory test by rght-clicking the "a" tray icon -> Program Settings, uncheck "Test memory during application startup.

Or

Run the program using this shortcut "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ASHSIMPL.EXE"

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 03:49:05 PM »
Hmmm... I really do not think the worst problem are on the extra providers... the virus database is almost 30Mb right now and must be loaded to memory...
Maybe you should change the Standard Shield settings to not scan open\created\modified files.
The best things in life are free.

tigertim71

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 02:34:19 PM »
OK- Thanks. I have only done stage 1 which is to unclick memory run at start up. Whenever I go into the Avast icon it takes ages and the whole system clogs up, so I'll follow some of the advice below.

I am wondering whether it's possible to do a minimal install from within the system as there seems to be a convergence of opinions on what should/should not be included in the application set up.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 03:20:53 PM »
I am wondering whether it's possible to do a minimal install from within the system as there seems to be a convergence of opinions on what should/should not be included in the application set up.
Yes, it's possible a minimal installation, but you're too close to the minimal limit of necessary resources...

tigertim71

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 12:54:11 PM »
Unfortunately, my specification pc just isn't up to scratch and it was better to remove the application. Perhaps the minimum requirement specifications should be reviewed by avast?....

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 02:56:22 PM »
Perhaps the minimum requirement specifications should be reviewed by avast?
I feel the same... maybe they could face the reality and adjust the system requirements...