Author Topic: Virus Chest and System Files  (Read 5631 times)

endless mirror

Virus Chest and System Files
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:37:58 AM »
Thanks for the previous help. These system files? were put in the virus chest after a scan and I don't know if I should delete them or if is the actual virus and not my system files. I don't know how to look these up to see what they are and am afraid I might delete an important file.
Thanks
wsock32.dll
winsock.dll
kernel32.dll

Offline kosay

Re: Virus Chest and System Files
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 10:02:16 AM »
these are system files ( named like system files ) but  maybe virus has the same name so to be sure you must notise them path
c:windows/system32
because they can't be tow files withe same name
updat your AV and scan these file againe

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 11:17:24 AM »
They fine, endless mirror. They your backstop to keep system safe. So do not delete. They not in same bin as where infected files / virus will be sent, which is the quarantine part of chest.

These system files are in a secure area of the chest, safely held away from any potential infected areas of your operating system. How you have written them is exactly how they should read.

wsock32.dll
winsock.dll
kernel32.dll

Anything different and there may be problems. But you seem okay. I only reply because this is a good question that is probably the first really important thing to know about Avast antivirus chest. The first thing that I learned. But the avast forum members will reply anyway to give proper directions. Just make sure not to delete these three system files.

And hey, Avast forum. First time I seen new text editor. So cool  :)

Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 11:35:52 AM »
What mkis said.
There are 4 sections of the chest. (AKA quarantine.) All areas are secure; nothing can get in or out without specific user input via the Avast program.
The 4 sections are "infected", "user", "system", and "all".
All you really have to be concerned with is "infected". Files that are in that section have been flagged as malware, and they usually are. Occasionally there will be a false positive in there. Periodic re-scanning from inside the chest is recommended. If the file still scans bad after, say, 2 or three weeks, and the computer seems to be performing normally without that file, it can safely be deleted. (Note, there is no urgency to do this.)
File in the "system" area contain file information about some selected system files, in the event the actual file becomes unisable due to a virus, a repair may be possible based on the stored information. These files are placed in the chest following a "VRDB" scan, and are updated from time to time..I think the period is every 21 days.
Don't touch them.
The "user" area is an area you can add files to, for protection. (Either the file, or your system if you suspect the file may be bad.) If you suspect a bad file that isn't detected by Avast, it can be moved here, and emailed to Alwil for further analysis. Not a bad system at all.
The "all" section allows viewing of all categories. This is what has caused doubt for you. Really, only be concerned with the "infected" section.

Opening the chest and clicking "Help" (top right) offers excellent advice. Some of which I've referred to in forming this reply. Not a bad idea, if you get my drift. (Not that I mind helping here at all. ;D)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

endless mirror

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 11:35:04 PM »
Thanks everyone! I just didn't have time to read over the forum, I'm sure I would find all the answers there.