Author Topic: My encounter with Win32:virto,  (Read 3429 times)

mrchams

My encounter with Win32:virto,
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:17:22 AM »
G'day guys,

Found your posts after formatting and reinstalling from the devastating results of Win32:vitro.
Before I come across avast I was using AVG and spybot search and destroy, neither of these helped in preventing the virus from infecting my system. AVG did tell me a file had been infected but didn't tell me that it was too late.... Devastation had already started.
I had left AVG scanning over night, when I can back the next morning my isp had locked my account down because of the virus spamming. This was the 2nd hint I was infected with something serious.
Anyway, Avast did remove the virus (delete/move to chest) but as many of you know, important windows files get infected. I think a repair install may have repaired windows but I didn’t want to take the chance. One good thing with this virus, is didn't infect my 200 GB of nikon raw files. Being a photographer this would have been the worst thing...

This forum would have been a massive help if I knew about it before the virus took a real hold on my system.

Thanks guys

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: My encounter with Win32:virto,
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 02:23:28 AM »
You're welcome to avast forums. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

Re: My encounter with Win32:virto,
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 05:48:21 AM »

Welcome to the forums, mrchams.   :)

You came out of that infection better than many do. Thanks for posting what worked for you.

Please come back often, learn more, and maybe help others.