Author Topic: Can I recover files from virus chest without the virus?  (Read 16522 times)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Can I recover files from virus chest without the virus?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 08:34:17 AM »
You can remove ravmonlog after removing the exe. This guide seems pretty good:

http://stylez.wordpress.com/2006/10/09/a-guide-to-removing-ravmoneexe/

- after you find the file, laugh in an evil manner to yourself and say, “you can’t escape me, bwhahahahhaha!”

;D
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Rin

Re: Can I recover files from virus chest without the virus?
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 05:32:08 AM »
 ;D That is one of the sites I came across.

But I can't seem to find ravmone.exe if that's what you mean. There's no ravmone.exe running in my Task Manager. Not even when I run the pendrive. There's no ravmone in my Windows folder either or ravmonlog for that matter. I have the 'Show hidden files and folders' on.

Do you think Avast got rid of it? But why is ravmonlog still there? I'm sorry I'm just thinking out loud here.

I have since tried to scan using Avast and MBAM again but nothing came up.

From the same site I came across this link which specifically addresses pendrive problem with ravmone:
http://stylez.wordpress.com/2007/07/02/a-guide-to-fix-the-thumbdrive-virus-ravmoneexe-part-2/

It says
1. Look for the file called Autorun.inf

2. It should be shaped like an orange gear with a notepad in the background as its icon.

3. Select it and delete it.

4. Check for other files such as Cn911.exe, sxs.exe, Ghost.exe, whether if they are present.

5. If those files mentioned above are present, please select them and delete them as well.

I remember Avast detected Autorun.inf as being infected and I moved the file to the virus chest.

Sorry I keep repeating myself. But I'd appreciate any more advice on why and how I should deal the ravmonlog file.

Thanks everyone!