Author Topic: How to Get "No Virus on E-mail" message  (Read 4935 times)

tommyk

How to Get "No Virus on E-mail" message
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:45:38 PM »
Supposedly there is a way for Avast to put a message at the bottom of an in-coming e-mail saying there is no virus in that e-mail.

How can I do this?

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: How to Get "No Virus on E-mail" message
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 10:52:13 PM »
Left click the 'a' blue icon.
Click details button.
Choose Internet Mail provider and Outlook plugin and navigate to the tabs POP3, SMTP and NNTP to configure.
The best things in life are free.

onlysomeone

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:52:56 PM »
Hi tommyk!

Yes, there is the possibility to do this - its quiet simple...

Which Mail program do you use?

Basically there can be said that you have to leftclick the A-symbol in the taskbar --> Details (if not opended yet) --> choose the provider you need (if you use Microsoft Office Outlook choose the Outlook/Exchange Provider; if you use Outlook Express or anything else choose the Mail Provider) --> Customize --> incoming Mail (first or second tab) --> tick the box you see in the picture and customize your text.

please just ask if i didn't state/write clear  ;)

yours
onlysomeone

EDIT: OMG Tech again was faster  :) (I have to practise to become faster  ;D )
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:55:28 PM by onlysomeone »

ProgrammerGuy

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:57:11 PM »
Right click on the blue 'a' icon in the system tray...
Select Avast! on-access scanner
Select Internet Mail or Outlook/Exchange; whichever you're using
Click on customize
Check the box for "Insert note into clean message"...

You can do this for both POP3 and SMTP if you so desire...  :)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 07:20:47 AM »
But,

it is necessary to add that avast can only do this for mail that is received on an unsecured connection (typically a POP connection using port 110).

If your email is received on a secure connection (using SSL) then it cannot be scanned and the "clean message" cannot be inserted.

tommyk

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 11:01:05 PM »
alanrf:

I do have SSL.

I checked off the boxes to get the no virus message . . . sent myself an e-mail using my hotmail provider.

I opened up the e-mail but there was no "no virus" message at the end.

I'm assuming the SSL is doing that?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 11:57:11 PM »
The whole point of SSL is to keep prying eyes out including your AV so avast would be unable to insert the note.

The other point is that SSL email normally uses the SSL ports 995 (for POP3), port 465 or 587 (for SMTP) and avast doesn't monitor those ports so wouldn't be scanning and so couldn't insert into something it doesn't even see.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 01:07:35 AM »
Since SSL/TLS e-mail is encrypted and decrypted in the client, external virus scanners (including avast!) can't read or scan it.
The solution is to pass e-mail in and out un-encrypted from your client (Outlook Express, Thunderbird, ...) to a proxy program (Stunnel) that does the actual ssl or tls encryption/decryption of the pop3/smtp e-mail and communicates directly with the ISP server on the appropriate ports. Download here: http://www.stunnel.org/download/binaries.html
Take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0 to see how to set up secure email with avast!.

Anyway, avast 5 (released on July) will scan SSL connections.
The best things in life are free.