Author Topic: problem of when starting pc while  (Read 4262 times)

transistoreyes

problem of when starting pc while
« on: April 04, 2009, 03:30:41 PM »
I have a problem when starting my pc when connected to the internet. Avast comes up with the line across the A. And takes some time before it turns on.  As opposed to starting then turning on the internet.
   I believe it is compromised on start up. I made sure that it is not checked to start after other services.
And another Question. Is it possible to do a start up scan like Avast does on it's first install?

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Re: problem of when starting pc while
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 03:38:44 PM »
And takes some time before it turns on.  As opposed to starting then turning on the internet.

This confuses me a bit. What exactly do you mean? does it start up slow or does it block your internet.

And another Question. Is it possible to do a start up scan like Avast does on it's first install?

Yes it is. For this you open avast and go to the top left corner of it's window where the drop down menu is usually found. Click on it and scroll down to the middle of the list and click on "Schedual Boot-Time Scan.

Cheers
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 04:36:46 PM »
This is commonly associated with having another AV installed or remnants of one still on your system.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 05:00:09 PM »
I have a problem when starting my pc when connected to the internet. Avast comes up with the line across the A.
If after that, the red cross disappears, just set "Delay avast services load..." on the Troubleshooting tab of avast settings.

Is it possible to do a start up scan like Avast does on it's first install?
Scheduling the Boot Time Scan
Click on the Menu button.
Choose Schedule Boot Time Scan.
Doing so displays a dialog allowing you to schedule virus scanning.
Check Archives, if you want scan all the archives.
Specify whether all the disks or just a specific folder should be scanned.
Select Advanced options for scheduling details.
Select how to automatically process infected files (suggestion: send to Chest)
Choose how to automatically process infected system files (suggestion: ignore/do nothing)
Click the Schedule button to confirm the settings.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 09:39:51 PM »
I was not aware of those options for the Boot scan. Thanks for the mention tech.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

transistoreyes

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 12:23:46 AM »
Thanks for how to schecule a start up scan.
 I'm sure it will fix the problem.
As For the confused computer user(Hope I got this right.

While starting the pc. While it is connected to an always on internet(DSL) It would come up the white A with a slash thru it. Where as. If I bring it up then turn on the internet. It does not do this.
Needless to say I am concerned about this. As I recommned Avast to all my friends. And if someone figured out how to keep avast from starting until they used a trojan to access my computer. This would upset me. And since the only way I can give back to such a great product. Is to report it to Avast.

Thank you for your help. Will let you know what happened after the start up scan.

transistoreyes

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 08:12:04 PM »
Something prevented avast from starting again at start up.
  So I did a "msconfig". And checked startup programs. And found the following :
            C:\Program Files\AntiSpyware\Antispyware.exe -boot.

Since this program is not in my program files. I will have to search my registery and delete it out of there manually.
  I think this may be what is causing my problem. And, once again thanks for the help and suggestions

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 08:31:15 PM »

Hi transistoreyes -

AntiSpyware\Antispyware.exe is a rogue anti-spyware.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/AntiSpyware.exe-19585.html

It is easier to use the proper removal tool rather than go through the registry deleting entries ... in which you might also delete a good entry and cause farther harm.

Go to ... http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php ... and download malwarebytes antimalware free version, install it, update it, and run a scan. Allow MBAM to fix or quarantine what it finds.

transistoreyes

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 09:47:22 PM »
charleyo

Recommended software worked like a charm. The following was causing my problem. Was shutting down my anti-virus. And apparently my firewall.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Any other good notifications or suggestions welcomed.

CharleyO

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 09:55:08 PM »

If you want to post a HijackThis log, I will take a look at it and see if anything else shows up. But, it's up to you as you can tell if your computer is back to what is relatively normal now.

If you want to ...

Please download HijackThis from the link below. Do not download HJT to the desktop but instead download it into it's own folder on the hard drive.

Run the program but do not make any fixes and then post the log results using the "copy & paste" method. It will probably take more than one post to be able to get the complete log posted.

OR, you can post it as an attachment to your post by clicking on "Additional Options..." below left of the posting box.  Someone will review your log and then offer help.

http://filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/