Author Topic: Malware name: VBS:Malware-gen File name: (drive letter):\autorun.inf  (Read 22435 times)

simply_suhail

I got my PC infected(i dont know the source-may be a pen drive)...Avast's latest update(02/02/2008) detected the virus & takes the action i want(it can move the virus to chest,delete it,etc but cant disinfect it)...BUT the virus comes back again & again..In about half a minute,the on-access scanner detects it,asks for action,i chose delete ,it deletes the virus,and again in some seconds,the whole process repeats.......The virus is found in all my drives ! :(HELP The info shown by avast is as under:
      File name: C:\autorun.inf
      Malware name: VBS:Malware-gen
      Malware type: Virus/Worm
      VPS version: 080202-0, 02/02/2008

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Malware name: VBS:Malware-gen File name: (drive letter):\autorun.inf
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 08:38:26 PM »
    1 - Flash Drive Disinfector
    Download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs from >here< and save it to your desktop.
    • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
    • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives including your mobile phone. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
    • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
    • Reboot your computer when done.
    Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.[/list]

satheez

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:07:49 PM »
    I am also having the same problem.
    I cant show the hidden files. Even i changed floder options it is allowing me to show hidden files..
    other users(non-administrators) are not allowing to open any drive like C,D,E...,,

Please help me on this isse...

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 07:18:23 PM »

Welcome to the forums, satheez.    :)

It would be better if you start your own thread for your problem. This is because even though your problem seems the same, how you got infected, where the problem is located, and the solution could be different. Doing this will also save confussion in the answers provided for more than one problem / solution.

Before you start your new thread ......

Please download HijackThis from the link below, run the program but do not make any fixes, and then post the log results in this new thread using the "copy & paste" method. It will probably take more than one post to be able to get the complete log posted. Someone will review your log and then offer help.

http://filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 07:19:54 PM by CharleyO »

yupper

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:39:22 AM »
    I stopped it from coming back by naming a blank file autorun.inf, and making it read only- I have re-booted a few times, now, and have had no recurrance.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
    • Massive Poster
    • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
    « Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 02:08:10 AM »
    Yes, that's what flashdrive disinfecter will do + more.  :)

Q.Lady

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 12:15:47 PM »
    Hey there. I'm new here too. I've had the same problem with my 3 flash disks and it's really annoying. I used the Flash Disinfector and there's a blank file autorun.inf I formatted my flash disk and the problem reoccurred. What's the reason of that?

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
    • Super Poster
    • Trust No-One!
    « Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 01:03:41 PM »
     ;D :o woops Boo! Boo!
    « Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 01:06:32 PM by tednelly »
    Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

wyrmrider

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 08:01:29 PM »
    Q.Lady
    I think what the Boo Boo was, if I read this thread correctly, is that the program puts protection on your pen drive- so put it back
    Best to start your own thread
    Run Malware Bytes Anti Malware, REMOVE checked items and post the log if there are any hits

thanks for the on topic comment
    « Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:05:03 PM by wyrmrider »

Q.Lady

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 10:15:44 PM »
    Q.Lady
    I think what the Boo Boo was, if I read this thread correctly, is that the program puts protection on your pen drive- so put it back
    Run Malware Bytes Anti Malware, REMOVE checked items and post the log if there are any hits

thanks for the on topic comment

thanks so much for your reply. I'd definetely start my own thread if the problem still persists.

mfarquhar

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 12:43:49 PM »
    Thanks essexboy.
    I had the same problem and your solution worked.

Many thanks  :)

edddy29

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 02:41:20 AM »
    Thanks essexboy, your solution works perfectly.  Before i read this thread, i played around with the registry, and did many other things but none worked. Thanks.
    I have a question, is the flash drive infected or my computer? how can i determine which is the one infected?

edddy29

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 02:53:31 AM »
    The reason i asked the question "how to determine whether the flash drive or the computer is infected" is because when you use the flash drive disinfector, the warning of the virus stops, but a folder is created. If you delete the folder, the warning of the virus comes back, why is that?  In other works the flash disinfector doesn't clean the flash drive, or does it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
    • Certainly Bot
    • No support PMs thanks
    « Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 03:17:26 AM »
    If you read the instructions from essexboy again particularly the blue text you will see why. The folder created is to prevent future infection as with an autorin.inf 'folder' even if they try to insert an autorun.inf 'file' the folder supersedes it.
    Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

edddy29

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 04:40:57 AM »
    All i want to know is if my computer is infected? Thanks for your answer though. Can someone clarify my questions.