Author Topic: Avast causing problems with Yahoo! Messenger?  (Read 4382 times)

EvilCarlo

Avast causing problems with Yahoo! Messenger?
« on: April 29, 2005, 06:20:33 AM »
Avast's On-Access Protection won't let me connect to Yahoo! Messenger, it's happened a couple of times now. The first time it happened, I disabled the Instant Messaging shield and it connected just fine. It's still disabled but now it won't let me connect. I have to disable Avast's On-Access Protection to connect to Yahoo! Messenger, I just turn it back on afterwards. Not sure which resident provider is causing the problem, the only ones I have enabled are Standard shield, P2P shield, Network shield and Internet Mail

Any ideas?

Using Windows XP Pro SP2, Sygate Personal Firewall, Avast! 4.6 Home Edition

kiawin

Re: Avast causing problems with Yahoo! Messenger?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 04:51:46 AM »
I've been using Avast 4.6 Home Edition with Yahoo Messenger 7.5 Beta and Google Talk without any problem for quite some time. However, recently, it starts to "block" my messenger and gtalk whenever I tried to connect to yahoo or gtalk. I didn't change any settings, so i suspect the changes arises from auto-update (is that possible?).

I did the same by disabling avast, connect the IM and later on enable back. then all works well.

My OS is Windows XP Pro SP2. My MSN Messenger works like miracle unlike Yahoo and GTalk.

On a second note, my mail shield also recently gone crazy (should be the same time just like IM) by frantically scanning some yahoo mail server which i never added.

Spiritsongs

IMs
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 06:07:44 PM »
 :)  Hi :

Have either of you clicked on the "Instant Messenging"
      Provider, then clicked the "Customize" tab, then "checked"
      the boxes of the IMs you use and when finished, clicked
     "ok" !?

hal10000

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 01:02:54 AM »
Even when I disable Avast (at least Avast says it's disabled), it won't let YIM connect either.  I connect for a second, then disconnect, then it tries to reconnect, and goes on forever.   I have to use Task Manager to shut it down.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 02:46:37 AM »
Hi hal 10000. Welcome to the forum.
Rather than posting to a thread that is about two-three years old, you'd do better to start a new topic in the Avast4 home/pro section of the forum.
In that thread (if you do this) you should post your computer specs, OS, and any other security software, past and present, that is/was installed.
Regards,
Tarq.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.