Author Topic: Virus crashes explorer.exe  (Read 3931 times)

DJPUCK360

Virus crashes explorer.exe
« on: June 02, 2009, 01:06:02 AM »
I do tech support for an online company and have recently seen an outbreak. When attempting to run cmd.exe or regedit.exe, explorer crashes and then restarts in a few seconds. Has anyone seen this or more importantly seen a scanner that will fix? Some friends of mine found a way to remove it's registry entry that contains a random string. AVAST please help!

Thanks in advance,
DJPUCK
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:21:25 AM by DJPUCK360 »

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
Re: Virus crashes explorer.exe
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 02:25:51 AM »
I suggest:
1. You run a boot scan with Avast Professional Edition or Avast Home Edition (Home or Professional if your using you home computer and not business. Its Small Business if you have it on your business PC)
2. Download Trend Micro HijackThis and select "Do a system scan and a savelog file." then when the results show, highlight all of it, right click, select copy and go to this topic and paste the findings.
3. Download Malwarebytes' Antimalware and do a full scan. Report the findings in the log file before you remove them as they can be critical system files that need to be re-patched.
4. Download Super AntiSpyware and do a full scan. If it finds anything tell us what it is or copy and paste the log file.
5. Try downloading a replacement registry editor. I posted one but you might want a different one. Here is the download link.
6. Send the files it finds to VirusTotal and paste the address in your next post.

You may choose to do any suggestion I said.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 02:29:43 AM by Donovansrb10 »
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

DJPUCK360

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 04:51:50 PM »
I don't personally have this virus on any of my machines, but will do my best to gather that info the next time I run into someone who does.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 05:10:56 PM »
Some friends of mine found a way to remove it's registry entry that contains a random string. AVAST please help!
Did you follow Donovansrb10's suggestions, specially number 3?
The best things in life are free.

DJPUCK360

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 07:38:54 PM »
I dont have the virus on my pc's so no. Will do my best to have a customer do so the next time I see it.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 09:19:51 PM »
This might be something similar:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=45732.msg384248#msg384248

As described here, it's down to a registry key with hidden characters, a corrupted (or infected?) explorer.exe file,  or some hidden BHO's/dll's.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/196066-desktop-taskbar-disappearing-act.html
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

DJPUCK360

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 11:24:26 PM »
I don't think so. In this case explorer starts itself again in a few seconds. It seems to only crash when launching cmd.exe and regedit.exe . Running command.exe does open command prompt but after one command ( ping localhost  for example, it becomes unresponsive and needs to close.