Author Topic: Tempoarily disabling AV 4.8 prof  (Read 4142 times)

pcuser**3

Tempoarily disabling AV 4.8 prof
« on: July 19, 2009, 10:21:59 PM »
Hello,

How does one temporarily disable Av 4.8 Professional edition, please?

Mr.Agent

Re: Tempoarily disabling AV 4.8 prof
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 10:23:29 PM »
Why you wanna disable it ? Its will let your computer without protection so it is unsafe to do this.

buddha1horse

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 10:30:23 PM »
I'm interested in temporarily disabiling Avast as well since I am installing software for a web cam and it is part of the instructions.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 10:37:21 PM »
The time when you most want an AV running is when installing software.

Contrary to what many say there is no need whatsoever to disable your AV to install their software and when anyone tells me that their software is history.

If what they are doing requires your security application needs to be disabled I have to wonder what they are doing/hiding. If they aren't doing anything underhand or suspicious, that an AV may interpret as an attack.malicious, why would they need to even suggest disabling.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

buddha1horse

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 10:41:58 PM »
Thanks for the answer. I'm installing the Logitech Quick Cam Pro 9000 software for my camera. Just read the fine print and will go to the Logitech support site.

pcuser**3

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 10:44:49 PM »
Reason is that I am experiencing problems with security update downloads for XP pro and Microsoft support recommend that I temporarily disable Avast whilst I run some checks they've given me instructions for on the software distribution folder.

Regards

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 10:55:42 PM »
Reason is that I am experiencing problems with security update downloads for XP pro and Microsoft support recommend that I temporarily disable Avast whilst I run some checks they've given me instructions for on the software distribution folder.
I can't believe that serious software distributors continue to say the same bs about disabling antivirus while installing... Go figure ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 12:08:16 AM »

I have no problems with XP Pro and windows updates, being on dial-up I just get notification but don't download and install and this works fine for me. I can also visit the Microsoft update site and have no problem using the custom update either.

The problem is that going on-line with your trousers round your ankles for any length of time (and a windows update test is likely to be prolonged) could well get you infected. Now a days you can count the time to infection (without protection) in minutes, so I have no idea what their checks might be, but if it includes going on-line without protection it is a very high risk strategy.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 05:55:50 PM »

Never, ever go on the internet without your av program running at full strength.

If you do, you are asking for the trouble you will get within seconds these days.