Author Topic: Virus Protection OFF How to put ON  (Read 3609 times)

sloworm

Virus Protection OFF How to put ON
« on: August 14, 2009, 09:52:41 PM »
I am running Avast Home edition with XP.  On firing up, a notice comes up to say virus protection turned off. Security Centre says  Firewall: On   Auto Updates: ON  Virus Protection: OFF.  I click "a" icon bottom right and click "On access scanner" which says Instant Messenger/Internet Mail/Network Shield/P2P Shield which states  all are   "Provider currently running".

What I have done to turn the damn thing OFF I have no idea but I am not getting the protection I need so please someone, how do I get it switched on?

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Re: Virus Protection OFF How to put ON
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 10:00:48 PM »
Right click on the avast tray icon
Then go to on access protection control and make sure the standard shield is running
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

sloworm

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 11:02:20 AM »
Thanks Mathboy. Did this before and done so again following your post and as my original thread said, all 4 appearing in "on access scanner" state "provider currently running".  Grateful for any more ideas you may have because I am getting nervous about not being protected.   Prior to starting this thread, I had wondered if uninstalling avast and re loading might be the answer.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 12:41:16 PM »
Hi sloworm,

The problem that the WSC has is that if the standard shield is not running, then the virus protection is not running, You haven't mentioned whether the standard shield is running...

Left click avast! tray icon --> click on more details -->scroll to standard shield --> click start --> it will ask you to persist - click yes...

-Scott-

sloworm

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 05:21:47 PM »
What a player Scott!!  It was switched off. Now done as you suggested and it says it is running.  I am not that clever when it comes to these beasties and I do find the terminology very un clear as to use and the consequences of an action. Again Scott, many thanks.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 05:26:41 PM »
No problem, glad to help :)

-Scott-