Author Topic: exemption list?  (Read 8748 times)

sahara

exemption list?
« on: August 03, 2009, 10:53:47 AM »
hi i am new here... im using Avast... i just wanna ask if there is an exemption list folder in avast?
thanks in advance

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: exemption list?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 11:05:55 AM »
Hello sahara

welcome to the forum. yes exemption list is available. for what do you need exemption list?.. files, etc?.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 11:06:35 AM »
Hi sahara,

Yes, there is an exemption list.

However I would hang on a sec.

What is the file you want to exclude and why?

-Scott-

EDIT:not quick enough ;)

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 11:08:26 AM »

sahara

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 11:20:55 AM »
thanks for an immediate reply....
really appreciated...

well anyway, im playing a game that the launcher of it avast detects as a virus...
so maybe i can put it in exemption list file of avast? but idk how...

another question since u are all quick :D
my friend comp got spyware.. now shes running her comp in safe mode... but
she cant used the other software.. and she wants to restore the system...
can someone help us??

thanks in advance

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 11:27:04 AM »
you are welcome.

the game you are playing.. did you get it from the original cd or dvd. if you have got it from p2p sites, it may be a virus or it may be a false positive(fp) upload to avast by adding it to chest.

you can add to exemption list by left clicking the avast tray icon, click on details at bottom right hand corner. > scroll to standard shield > click customize > advanced tab > click add and paste the path of the file.

that should do.

regarding your friend's pc, post a new topic.

sahara

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 11:33:18 AM »
wow... so quick :)

ok imma try it now hang on ... :D

wish we have live chat here hehe...

spg SCOTT

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
Hi sahara,

You could send the file to alwil, to let them check it out.

To report as a false positive:

You could also send the file in a password protected archive to virus(at)avast(dot)com with 'potential false positive' in the subject line and the password in the email body.

or

You could add the file to the user files of the virus chest and send it from there:

Right click avast icon in taskbar -->click start avast antivirus -->right click scanner background --> click virus chest --> navigate to user files --> click add files -->
right click file -->email to alwil software.

NOTE:
The file will actually be uploaded when the next update is performed (you can do a manual update to get it sent)

-Scott-

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 04:18:07 PM »
wow... so quick :)

ok imma try it now hang on ... :D

Before adding any detected file to the exemptions you should confirm that it is a bad detection.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive, e.g. C:\Suspect. Now exclude that folder in the Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\* That will stop the standard shield scanning any file you put in that folder. You should now be able to export any file in the chest to this folder and upload it to VirusTotal without avast alerting.

If confirmed as a false positive, no other scanners detect it as infected, then you can exclude it from scans and upload it to avast for further analysis. This is the correct process to ensure you are protected and not inadvertently allowing an infected file to run.

You don't say what the file name, location or malware name were, these help us to help you.
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections. C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashLogV.exe

- Or check the source file using notepad C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Warning.log and copy and paste the entry.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 04:25:48 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 04:20:16 PM »
Oh yeah...I knew I forgot something...::) :-[

Thanks DavidR :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 04:26:40 PM »
HeHe, confirmation is always the first step ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 04:30:05 PM »
Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking...that is usually the first thing I write...I think I'll add it onto the canned...(don't know why I haven't already)