Author Topic: Boot time scan powers off?  (Read 3798 times)

td_steele

Boot time scan powers off?
« on: August 07, 2009, 09:42:09 PM »
I am infected with the popular antiviruspro virus. It disables my AVAST Pro and when I attempt to run a boot time scan, it can only complete approximately 6% and then powers off for a re-boot. I am running Windows XP. I have ued Malwarebytes anti-malware as well as Spy bot and also I have run a Panda root kit detection but so far have been unable to get rid of it. Can you ofer some advice or direct me to the proper thread? Thank you.  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Boot time scan powers off?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 09:53:09 PM »
Use MBAM and if any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
If you cannot deal with it, let us know that we can help further.
The best things in life are free.

td_steele

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »
I did that, checked that all files were quarantined and deleted, but no success.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 10:04:51 PM »
Read the instructions, download and burn (maybe from another computer), finally use one of this rescue CD's:
1. Dr. Web
2. Avira
3. BitDefender
4. Kaspersky
5. F-Secure
The best things in life are free.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 10:26:01 PM »
when I attempt to run a boot time scan, it can only complete approximately 6% and then powers off for a re-boot.

Maual download latest avast definitions and update mbam to most recent version.

Since you have long passed option of System Restore (I assume you have), you can turn that off.
Right click on My Computer-> Properties-> System Restore tab-> click on Turn off System Restore.

Unhook LAN. Boot into Safe Mode. Run mbam, resolve findings.
Set avast boot-time scan. Restart.

You should be able to run the scan right through. If not, try to note the folder / file locations that are running before and around the 6% point where the scan falters.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

td_steele

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 10:33:52 PM »
Thank you. I think I am resolved. I had to maually go get the bad executable file and quarantine it myself. It is no longer disabling my AVAST and both AVAST and MBAM scans look clean. I will keep my fingers crossed that I got it all.  

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 10:42:39 PM »
I hope you are running XP SP3 that has been available for over a year?

td_steele

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 11:00:52 PM »
Of course I am.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 11:24:48 PM »
Thank you. I think I am resolved. I had to maually go get the bad executable file and quarantine it myself. It is no longer disabling my AVAST and both AVAST and MBAM scans look clean. I will keep my fingers crossed that I got it all. 

If you haven't already done so - Send the sample to virus@avast.com zipped and password protected with the password in email body, a link to this topic might help and undetected malware in the subject.

Or you can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest (if it isn't already in the chest) where it can do no harm and send it from there. A copy of the file/s will remain in the original location, so you will need to take further action and can remove/rename that.

Send it from the User Files section of the chest (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). It will be uploaded (not actually emailed) to avast when the next avast auto (or manual) update is done.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security