Author Topic: Las Vegas attack lit up my screen......  (Read 5538 times)

Hobbiton18

Las Vegas attack lit up my screen......
« on: May 14, 2009, 03:03:40 PM »
Hi all,
Sorry to bother everyone, just need to be reassured.
There I was, just checking something out searching via Mozilla Firefox and all these noises started, flashing lights like Las Vegas and you would think I had physically hit my PC with the racket.  But, I remained calm, knowing I was protected with Avast.  I ran Windows Defender, Spy Zooker and did a full scan with Avast (still scanning actually).

Two infected files appear in my Skull and Crossbone Chest. 
_CACHE_003_
E0252844d01
locations are my docs & settings\user\local settigs\application data\Mozilla\firefox\Profiles
and called
JS:FakeAV-AA (Trj) and JS:FakeAV-AB (Trj)

So, how do I get rid of these Trojans?  Even though they are in my chest, I don't want them. 
As an 'oldie' but very interested in all this IT stuff, can someone advise please?  Incidentally, I am very grateful to anyone for reading this and taking time to tell me what they are.  I feel that the way they entered my PC was quite alarming as the attack implied there would be serious damage if you didn't install what they told you to install and all the icons looked very authentic, just like they came from microsoft etc.  It was just that it all didn't 'feel right' somehow - a bit 'over the top' - which stopped me from running the downloads.  Am I safe?

Elaine Mills

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Las Vegas attack lit up my screen......
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 05:06:58 PM »
There is no rush to delete anything from the chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. Anything that you send to the chest you should leave there for a few weeks. If after that time you have suffered no adverse effects from moving these to the chest, scan them again (inside the chest) and if they are still detected as viruses, delete them.

The JS:FakeAV is as its name implies a rogue application, a fake anti-virus, if established it starts popping-up fake security alerts in order to have you:
1. run a scan which could really infect you.
2. visit a site possibly for information or a scan, with the same intention as the above.
3. try to get you to pay for a program to clean-up.

All of the above are the aspirin for the headache they give with the fake alerts and you would be surprised how many fall for these fake alerts (don't do any of the above actions). So now you are aware hopefully you shouldn't get caught out if one happens to get past avast as there really are a lot of them out there...
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hobbiton18

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 07:01:26 PM »
My thanks to DavidR  :)  Thank you for your time.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 07:35:10 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

foregu

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 05:46:23 AM »
Hi all,
Sorry to bother everyone, just need to be reassured.
There I was in the Bellagio Las Vegas, just checking something out searching via Mozilla Firefox and all these noises started, flashing lights like Las Vegas and you would think I had physically hit my PC with the racket.  But, I remained calm, knowing I was protected with Avast.  I ran Windows Defender, Spy Zooker and did a full scan with Avast (still scanning actually).

Two infected files appear in my Skull and Crossbone Chest.  
_CACHE_003_
E0252844d01
locations are my docs & settings\user\local settigs\application data\Mozilla\firefox\Profiles
and called
JS:FakeAV-AA (Trj) and JS:FakeAV-AB (Trj)

So, how do I get rid of these Trojans?  Even though they are in my chest, I don't want them.  
As an 'oldie' but very interested in all this IT stuff, can someone advise please?  Incidentally, I am very grateful to anyone for reading this and taking time to tell me what they are.  I feel that the way they entered my PC was quite alarming as the attack implied there would be serious damage if you didn't install what they told you to install and all the icons looked very authentic, just like they came from microsoft etc.  It was just that it all didn't 'feel right' somehow - a bit 'over the top' - which stopped me from running the downloads.  Am I safe?

Elaine Mills

WOW... this is so strange... I just came across this thread and realizing that the same exact thing happened to me last week.  It totally freaked me out!  After reading this, I feel much better!
thank you for the posts.  can't wait to get this taken care of!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 04:14:54 PM »
Do you mean that avast detected this and gave the alert as outlined in the quoted text.

If so that is what the alert is meant to do 'get your attention,' I guess that worked then ;D

What do you mean by, "can't wait to get this taken care of!" ?
As if it follows the same pattern as the quoted text it should now be residing in the Chest and not the internet cache and it can do no harm from there. Do as previously suggested leave the file in the chest for a few weeks, scan it again in the chest and if still detected delete it.

It isn't so critical as a standard file from your system since it is from a temporary location, e.g. temp internet files, so in theory you could delete it now. However, it is best to maintain a routine if you get a detection, send it to the chest, leave it there for a few weeks, scan again, delete if still detected (there really is no rush).