Author Topic: windows xp 64 pro freezes with right mouse click  (Read 2990 times)

jim johnson

windows xp 64 pro freezes with right mouse click
« on: November 15, 2009, 06:46:21 PM »
OK. When Avast is enabled, and I right click on a folder, program or file on my screen the system freezes... If task manager is up, I can shut down and restart. If not I have to do a hard restart. If I disable Avast, the system works fine...
Thought??
I use the paid version of Avast

spg SCOTT

Re: windows xp 64 pro freezes with right mouse click
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 08:01:15 PM »
Hi jim johnson, welcome to the forum :)

It may be that another shell extension may be causing a conflict, try seeing which ones are running and if they are what cause the conflict.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=48747.0

-Scott-

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 08:05:10 PM »
Then it is likely that you have a shell extension (context menu item) clash.

avast has to hook files to scan them before allowing them to run to be able to protect you. Unfortunately there are other such shell extensions that can do the same and some of them aren't even security applications.

I had this happen with XP Pro SP3 32bit, I had had avast for some time but after updating a program the problem started. I had been investigating for a long time trying to find why this was happening to no avail, until I came across a topic that had the same problem with SnagIt image capture, which I use.

I used Shell Explorer (shexview.exe) to view what shell extensions were present, I found the one for SnagIt and disabled and no more problems. I had used this Shel Explorer before looking at more security based extensions and never dreamt it would be my image capture software, but the earlier version of it never had this problem, but 9.1 did.

So I don't know if this shell explorer tool will work on 64bit, but perhaps you can find a way and investigate what shell/context menu extensions you have running.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jim johnson

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 08:30:45 AM »
OK. When Avast is enabled, and I right click on a folder, program or file on my screen the system freezes... If task manager is up, I can shut down and restart. If not I have to do a hard restart. If I disable Avast, the system works fine...
Thought??
I use the paid version of Avast

update-
after removing all of the programs that were installed prior to the problem, I at least for now have a system that operates correctly. The problem program was "PDF Converter Pro 6". Which says it supports Vista 64 bit, but only xp 32 bit... geesh... the fine print... anyway, installed WIN2PDF which supports xp 64, and no problems...

Thanks for the help... gotta love forums...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 02:54:30 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

As you can see some of the most unlikely of programs can gum up the works ;D

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security