Author Topic: Do I have a virus?  (Read 4379 times)

ruudboy

Do I have a virus?
« on: June 15, 2004, 05:02:54 PM »
Hello
I've just done a thorough scan and the following comes up.

Results of last scan

Name of file
C:\Documents and Settings\Ruud\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\6UGVJ2HW\aslsubs111[1].js\aslsubs111[1]

Result
Unable to scan: Archive is corrupted

When I try to delete, move or chest I get the following message:

"An error has occured during the processing of 1 result"

I've cant find the archive on my pc. I've followed the file path and run a "Search" with no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ruudboy

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:Do I have a virus?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 07:45:25 PM »
Result
Unable to scan: Archive is corrupted

As it said the archieve can't be scanned because it is corrupt, not that there is a virus, just it couldn't check. The likelyhood that you are infected is low, this is just a report of files not scanned and the reasons why they wern't scanned.

1. clear your temporary internet files.

2. now that you have deleted the temp internet files, you can navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings\Ruud\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\6UGVJ2HW\ and make sure that it is empty.

3. this looks like you allowed (or not) a java applet to be installed, aslsubs111[1].js. I would advise (in security settings) against having Java (not javascript, totally different) disabled or set to high security and active scripting java applet disabled.

HTH David

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ruudboy

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 08:21:46 PM »
David

Thanks for your advice

1. Temp files cleared

2. Though it still comes up in a rescan I still cant navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\Ruud\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\6UGVJ2HW\ or even find it in a search.
Any ideas?

3. Thanks for the info re Java I have now disabled it.

Thanks Ruudboy

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 08:27:58 PM »
Do you have the Explorer set up so that it allows you to see hidden/system files?

Tools menu -> Folder Options -> Show Hidden Files and Folders.

BTW I'd be interested in that file -- could you send it to my email address? (of course once you're able to access it).

Thanks
vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ruudboy

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 10:56:40 PM »
Hi vlk

Yes, I could see hidden files.

I Still couldn't find the file , but by going in via C/windows/temp/temporary internet files/content.ie5 and deleting everthing in that folder it seems to have resolved the problem.
I've just done a thorough rescan and everything is hunky dory :)

Quick question to you or David.
David advised against having Java. Can you  confirm that all I have to do is go into "security settings" and under "Java Permissions", click on "Disable Java"

Thanks
Ruudboy

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 11:57:38 PM »
Yes, disable Java in security settings for Internet and below that there is also a setting you can disable java applets as well.

Should you experience any problem you could reduce the Java to High Security from disable, but generaly you should be ok.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ruudboy

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 12:24:07 AM »
Yes, disable Java in security settings for Internet and below that there is also a setting you can disable java applets as well.

Thank you :)
ruudboy