Author Topic: I was asked for my PIN and last 4 of my social...?  (Read 4933 times)

petfriday

I was asked for my PIN and last 4 of my social...?
« on: January 21, 2010, 02:27:21 AM »
Hi all...just wondering (or freaking out LOL). Last year I signed up for the free Avast. 3 weeks ago I started to get pop ups that my trial? is ending in 21 days. Ok, so I decited to keep it and filled out the CC form (Visa) and after completing I was told that there was an error and I was let to site that looked like 'my bank's' site and said Visa verification. That one asked me for all the info again and in addition my card's PIN and my last 4 of social....? I filled it out but felt so uncomfy that I deleted the info and clicked the 'back' button and all of the sudden my payment was processed...? My bank stated that they have nothing to do with it...? and now I am freaking out.
Has anyone gotten that too?

shae_32

Re: I was asked for my PIN and last 4 of my social...?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 03:56:59 AM »
Hmmm...that is strange. If you had the free version, all you would have to do is go to Avast's Registration site and re-register, (get new license key) What happened does sound odd. Maybe you might want to contact Avast Suppport.

Good luck.

hyjaxltd

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 04:40:10 AM »
Hi all...just wondering (or freaking out LOL). Last year I signed up for the free Avast. 3 weeks ago I started to get pop ups that my trial? is ending in 21 days. Ok, so I decited to keep it and filled out the CC form (Visa) and after completing I was told that there was an error and I was let to site that looked like 'my bank's' site and said Visa verification. That one asked me for all the info again and in addition my card's PIN and my last 4 of social....? I filled it out but felt so uncomfy that I deleted the info and clicked the 'back' button and all of the sudden my payment was processed...? My bank stated that they have nothing to do with it...? and now I am freaking out.
This sounds typical of trojan horse behavior and phishing, although Avast had nothing to do with it.  Somewhere along the line something eventually got through that was, most likely just at the time, un-defined or unknown as a virus.  Bottom line is the charge will need to be disputed through Visa, or your banking institution.  Contact your local branch concerning this and also let them know everything that happened to possibly mointor your account(s) for odd behavior.

Format and wipe your drive becuase flat out that is the typical story most people have when they fall prey.  Again, it had NOTHING to do with Avast...other than that was what the trojan dev made you seem to beleive.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 07:04:46 AM »

if you filled anything, even if you deleted it before it was already transmitted ...
i would suggest immediate change of login/password and PINs etc w/e You typed there

comprehensive check of Your system using multiple antiviruses recommended
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 07:07:25 AM »

if you filled anything, even if you deleted it before it was already transmitted ...
i would suggest immediate change of login/password and PINs etc w/e You typed there

comprehensive check of Your system using multiple antiviruses recommended

+1

waking

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 07:41:38 AM »

There *may* be another explanation:

(1) Possibly what you downloaded and installed was a trial version
of the Pro edition, and not the Free Edition. Both editions will
prompt for (re)registration as the expiry date approaches.

(2) The information you were asked for *may* have been related to
the "Verified by Visa" program. Program's like that and MasterCard's
equivalent require that you enter some of the confidential data
which you provided when you applied for your credit card. Once
verified, these program's may provide you with a security code
so you don't have to enter it every time you use your card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_Secure

"A transaction using Verified by Visa/SecureCode will initiate a redirect to the website
of the card issuing bank to authorize the transaction."

"Another weakness in the system is that the user must generally set up their account
for first use ..."

"Some banks in the USA require the user to enter the last 4 digits of their Social Security number ..."

Some of the many sites which describe the program:

http://www.visa.ca/verified/infopane/index.html

http://www.visa.ca/en/merchant/products/vbv/index.jsp

http://www.visaeurope.com/personal/onlineshopping/verifiedbyvisa/main.jsp

Watch the Flash videos here:

http://www.visaeurope.com/personal/onlineshopping/verifiedbyvisa/howitworks.jsp

Check your credit card issuer's web site for info on their participation
in the Verified by Visa program.

steckler

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 09:55:10 AM »
Walking is right.  This is the "verified by visa" program.  We have no control over it.  It is between your bank and Visa. It is actually for your safety....even though it may be surprising at first. Basically, it is another authentication of the transaction.

hines232

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 06:46:19 PM »
 ???I may have miss understood a lot of this post, but am wondering why it happened, if he was running AVAST ? What the use of having a virus program running if this can happen.

petfriday

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 08:54:05 PM »
Hey guys, thank you so much! I did talk with my bank and put a stop on all debits, changes the pin and Visa did say it may have been their security program. So, now I do feel better. Avast did send me a confirmation code and I downloaded the new program 4.8 and discovered a tojan horse that i put into the virus box.
So once again thanks to all :)

petfriday

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 09:11:09 PM »
win32:fakeav-sy [trj]             
this is the thing I had and is hopefully removed by Avast

http://www.ca.com/us/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?id=74100
and this is the web site I found about this trojan

very unsetteling the whole thing :(