Author Topic: Avast cannot be started  (Read 7842 times)

m0sdef

Avast cannot be started
« on: March 08, 2010, 08:37:15 PM »
I'm kind of tech-foolish so bear with me.

Recently i turned on my laptop to find windows security alerts telling me that windows defender and windows firewall were off and my Avast Free Home had been turned off as well. I attempted to open the Avast user interface in hopes of running a scan and removing any virus present, only to find it could not be started due to the process failing to start; the error box said i should reinstall. I restarted my laptop to find that windows update had been turned off as well, and after a couple more attempts at starting Avast, i turned it off. I'm fairly certain i can deal with the virus, I just haven't encountered one that has been serious enough to shut down Avast and all the windows security too.

Any information on a virus shutting down Avast and not allowing it to open would be helpful. Would the Avast free virus removal tool be sure to get rid of the infection?

Also, I'd rather not turn on my laptop to provide more detailed information, but I will if necessary.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast cannot be started
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 08:55:59 PM »
Some infections could drop the antivirus protection, yes, unfortunately.
Can you open avast at Safe Mode?
Can you repair avast installation (through Control Panel > Add/remove programs) at Safe Mode?
The best things in life are free.

m0sdef

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:41:59 AM »
Some infections could drop the antivirus protection, yes, unfortunately.
Can you open avast at Safe Mode?
Can you repair avast installation (through Control Panel > Add/remove programs) at Safe Mode?

Decided i might as well get started fixing this so I tried to open Avast in safe mode and got the same message as before:

"Error basInitLibrary - initialization of basic library failed! Check out INI file or install program again, please. Error: 10107"

Although i'm not sure what repairing the installation through control panel means, i used add/remove programs to change the installed components and although that was successful, i still got the error message when i tried to open Avast.

I'm going to run Avast Virus Cleaner in safe mode and post results. Again, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've never had an infection shut down my antivirus before.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:32:47 AM »
I wouldn't bother running the Avast virus cleaner, AFAIK it only removes a certain number of infections and is fairly old.
What I would try is downloading MBAM, install it, update it, and run a quick scan. At completion it will produce a report with options. Select all, and have it remove selected. If prompted to reboot to complete removal, do so promptly. Then try re-activating Avast. Please post the MBAM scan report.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 10:35:54 AM »
Just double checked the release date of the Avast Virus Cleaner..it was May/07.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 10:45:41 AM »
An alternativ to avast virus cleaner would be DrWeb CureIt or DrWeb LiveCD
http://www.freedrweb.com/?lng=en

m0sdef

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 11:09:51 AM »
I wouldn't bother running the Avast virus cleaner, AFAIK it only removes a certain number of infections and is fairly old.
What I would try is downloading MBAM, install it, update it, and run a quick scan. At completion it will produce a report with options. Select all, and have it remove selected. If prompted to reboot to complete removal, do so promptly. Then try re-activating Avast. Please post the MBAM scan report.
Thanks for the help so far and again, sorry for the lack of knowledge.

After some deliberation of my own i decided against the removal tool and used system restore. That was probably a bad move, but all programs were operational after reboot as opposed to before. I immediately got MBAM after, but the scan found nothing (attached file).

I also remembered a program i use called spyware terminator which monitors processes kept showing a WinSock svchost change trying to run early last week. I was unaware as to what it was then, so I allowed it when it kept popping up. I'm now fairly certain it was the virus, so after the system restore reboot when it popped up again I was more wary. I put it on my spyware terminator's block list, which will hopefully keep it from running, but i'm not sure what to do now. I wasn't aware of the infection until it shut down all my security programs, and I still don't even know what it's called. How can I find it and get rid of it?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »
No need to apologize for a lack of knowledge. That's what the forum is for. Far better to ask and find out than to blunder on until the computer goes disks up  ;D.

It's been quite a long time since I used SpywareTerminator, about 2 years, but there should be a block list available somewhere, that should give (hopefully) adequate information as to what it is that is blocked, and if we're real lucky, the file name and path. This is to do with the HIPS module, a behaviour blocker.

Had you updated any software, by any chance, (maybe from Avast 4 to Avast 5) at around the same time as this ST warning came up?
I'm thinking that maybe it is a valid process that was blocked by ST, and maybe that could have prevented Avast from starting?

There is also the chance that it is malware. A Winsock change would be more likely to be malware than a FP, I'd think. Please also check ST's quarantine for anything that was quarantined around that time. The use of System restore may have masked what is actually going on, but this may not matter if everything is working well now.

m0sdef

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 12:25:03 AM »
No need to apologize for a lack of knowledge. That's what the forum is for. Far better to ask and find out than to blunder on until the computer goes disks up  ;D.

It's been quite a long time since I used SpywareTerminator, about 2 years, but there should be a block list available somewhere, that should give (hopefully) adequate information as to what it is that is blocked, and if we're real lucky, the file name and path. This is to do with the HIPS module, a behaviour blocker.

Had you updated any software, by any chance, (maybe from Avast 4 to Avast 5) at around the same time as this ST warning came up?
I'm thinking that maybe it is a valid process that was blocked by ST, and maybe that could have prevented Avast from starting?

There is also the chance that it is malware. A Winsock change would be more likely to be malware than a FP, I'd think. Please also check ST's quarantine for anything that was quarantined around that time. The use of System restore may have masked what is actually going on, but this may not matter if everything is working well now.

Indeed  :)

ST's block list gives the file name and path, but it's simply in the system32 folder as svchost.exe, which I understand is an important host process for Windows, and isn't helpful as to what was trying to run through it. There is nothing in the quarantine list either.

I don't recall any updating any software. It's also possible that the svchost process had nothing to do with it at all, it just seems likely because when the HIPS warning box first popped up, I had to keep clicking the option (at first allow, then block as I got suspicious) for awhile before it went away.

To recap:
I have a small episode with ST and the svchost, which I promptly forget about.

Roughly 4 days later, I turn on the laptop to find it running very slowly.

I restart it, to find Windows Security Alerts telling me about Avast and Windows Defender, Update, and Firewall being shut down. I can't start any of them and realize I have an infection. As I recall, Spyware Terminator was turned off as well. I had no warning at all. I promptly turned off the network switch and shut down my laptop.

A day or so later, I start seeking help here. After not being able to start Avast in safe mode, I use system restore and restore to March 4th (I would have gone farther back, but didn't have many other restore points). After the reboot, everything is running again. ST tells me about the svchost process trying to run again. I remember about the earlier episode, and add it to the block list. I scan with MBAM with no results. I update Avast from 4.8 to 5 and reactivate, run a scan with that, and get no results there either.

My laptop seems to be running fine now, but the reason I'm still worried is that the infection was quite serious, yet nothing was found in the scans and I don't trust System Restore to eliminate the problem.  :(

Also, if there's anyone else who had an unknown infection shut down avast and windows security, please feel free to post

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 01:52:11 AM »
Try a number of second-opinion scanners.
SAS is a good one, on  a par with MBAM. Might pick up something that MBAM didn't.
DrWeb Cureit linked above is a good malware scanner/remover.
Try some antirootkit apps. This site has links to a few. I'd try Avira, TM, maybe Rootalyzer. These can throw up valid processes, so don't be in a rush to delete anything found.

m0sdef

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 07:22:36 AM »
Thanks, I'll experiment with a few and post again tomorrow  :)