Author Topic: Is this a virus?  (Read 4890 times)

Therese Kean

Is this a virus?
« on: March 15, 2010, 01:23:54 AM »
My windows Events viewer is showing that the AV file is corrupt and  can't be viewed, can I have some help as to what to do?

Also the Log from Avast User Interface to the notebook is showing this message.
c:\1386\Lang\A15.TB_\a15.tb7[E]File was skipped because of scanner settings.(42016)
The whole log has this message heaps. Help ???

Also I have just recieved a message on my Gmail account answering an ad I put in online in NZ, from "kelvin Thompson IP:203.55.231.100"
I googled this address and find that is is used by HACKERS TO SPREAD\ VIRUS\SPAM etc  be warned.
I have done a boot scan/ and scan using Avast  Malwarebytes scan and SAS over the last few days all come up clean any suggestions please.
T

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Is this a virus?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 02:55:05 AM »
Which is your Windows? 98, Me, XP, Vista?
Do you use any other antivirus in your computer?

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

Run a full scanning with avast.

But seems your computer is ok and nothing to worry except verbose of the logs.
The best things in life are free.

Therese Kean

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 05:05:44 AM »
I tried to self fix through -control panel-add/remove-Avast- remove-repair as you suggested, that seemed to fix itself ok  but still get file corrupt in Windows events Antivirus log.
I have XP, with AV's- Avast, also SAS & Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
I have been using Chrome but am beginning to be a bit worried about it as it is getting a bit slower, and the silent update thing it has doesn't let you know whats happening.
I have been happy with Avast especially with the support on this forum.
T

Therese Kean

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 05:08:17 AM »
Sorry haven't run scan will do that and let you know.
T

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 05:22:56 AM »
The file you refer to - or at least c:\1386\Lang\A15.TB - is a file on XP install disk (not sure about whole of referred file c:\1386\Lang\A15.TB_\a15.tb7[E]File - but rest may refer to actions packed it A15.TB)

Do you have copy of XP install disk in folder Local Disk (C:) on yr computer.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:25:00 AM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Therese Kean

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 07:37:50 AM »
MKIS/Tech Yes I do have the file I cannot upload stuff to the forum as I have tried twice and I am told I have already posted to the forum,
the thorough scan couldn't scan heaps of files in C.
Could you guide me as to how to attach them ie the log for you to look at as not sure. ???
T

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 08:52:36 AM »
okay don't worry about uploading anything yet

can you go My computer and then to Local System (c:) and open it

Is there a folder in that location (C:) called i386?

If, so, then it is a copy of the XP install disk that was used to load XP on yr computer and it has been left there in case you ever need to refer to it for whatever reason - for example, like adding or removing Windows components.

But first, could you please check that the folder is there.

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Therese Kean

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 09:03:15 AM »
The file 1386 is def there. I tried to open it but didn't know how. Thats what I was trying to download to you but avast forum wouldn't let me. I was trying the Avast Log but was stopped also.
T

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 09:36:59 AM »
okay, all good. avast antivirus often cannot scan files within that folder.
so, if it is that folder that is the issue, don't worry, you are all good.

now lets decide what you want to do.

okay did you see how I said that it is actual a copy of the CD that was used to install XP on yr computer.

(1) Do you think you can burn an ISO of that folder - that is, burn that folder to a CD-RW? Do you know what I mean?

(2) Or else, can you just copy that folder to any CD where you can keep the copy in storage?

(3) Or, is it not a problem where it is, and you'll just remember that it is there, and some files in it cannot be scanned?

btw just run quick scans instead of thorough scans  - except for times of special need

Edit - make sure if you make a copy don't delete the folder from yr computer just yet. I'm want first to show you how to make a boot disk out of that folder for later use, for example, to have stored away in case something bad happens to yr computer anytime. That is if you want to do that. And you always send a personal message (PM) if you want.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 09:46:05 AM by mkis »

Therese Kean

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 01:16:52 AM »
I have CD-R's So should be able to burn a copy of that folder to that. It shouldn't be a problem though, now that I am aware that a/that folder is a windows XP folder and B/that Avast cant scan it. but your edit re making a boot disk would be much appreciated.

The other prob I had originally re The Antivirus folder in Windows events viewer is still showing "Corrupt" I have repaired it as Tech told me but still showing corrupt.
Any furthur ideas on that.

I am on a laptop with vodafone 3G stick for access to Internet, they have been having issues with windows updates for some reason, I couldnt connect today untill they got me to change back and enable the vodafone connection, it appears    the updates have been changing these, not just with me, other customers appariently having similar issues.

would the updates be mucking about with the antivirus log in events?
T

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 07:01:46 AM »
Have you upgraded to avast 5 or are you still using 4.8?

Dont worry about the antivirus section in Eventviewer just now, it doesnt interfere with anything.
Can you give me a screenshot of that problem with the antivirus folder? do you know how to do that.

For screenshots, try this program
http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html

CD-R is good for storing a copy - you can always put back om yr computer.
What program have you got on yr computer that can be used to burn a CD-RW?
- press Start > Programs and look over the list of programs you have on yr computer.

Or, do you have someone there know how to burn a CD-RW? They will know program

Vodafone have had password to my account for a couple of weeks to test issues with the local website, which they say will be sorted by next month. Yes there are also issues with the 3G vodems - often they fall back to 2G (53.6K) and often they wont mount on yr computer after you have had them unplugged.

screen shot below shows the drivers that you should have
- go to My computer > local disk (C:) > Program Files > Vodafone  - do you have these updates?
- is this what you mean by Vodafone got you to change back and enable....

If you have these updates and open VMCLite - click redetect modem usual does the trick

No Vodafone is not having problems with Windows update - two different things
Its the technology - they are still building so performance is meant to get better - maybe they checking last Sunday because my speed doubled all of a sudden - then stayed that way for most of the day.

Edit - if you have burning software already I wont have to direct you to program - you can choose yrself later on when you got a bit more time.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:36:56 AM by mkis »