Author Topic: Bizarre PC behavior at first bootup today  (Read 4102 times)

buttoni

Bizarre PC behavior at first bootup today
« on: March 18, 2010, 08:27:58 PM »
My pc specs are in my signature.  For the record, I've been running the free Avast5 antivirus on a brand new Win7x64 machine since AV5's first release.  Have had absolutely none of the problems many experienced with the new version.  Been running like clockwork.  But when I turned on the pc this morning, Windows began to load, brought up the user logon screen, but when I attempted to logon, the cursor just sat there forever spinning and never loaded my user desktop.  Had to hard boot the pc off.  Happened exactly the same way a second time, this time trying to log on to the admin account, to see if maybe my personal user account or section of the registry was corrupt or something.  Sstill no go.  So I then booted into safe mode to run a malware scan with MBAM.  Nothing found.  SFC /scannow found nothing.  System restore back a week fixed nothing, other than it let me boot into normal mode long enough for me to discover the start button and all things on the start menu would not respond to mouse clicking, but other things on the desktop would!  Bizarre, is it not?  Next reboot brought up just a black screen when I tried to log on into normal mode.  Each time this happened, I had to hard button boot the pc off!  So then I tried booting into safe mode and clicked Repair your system, selected Startup Repair but that, too found no issues to repair.  

By this time, I'm getting pretty frustrated, because while in Normal Mode, Avast said it was off and I could not invoke Services to attempt to turn AvastSvc back on!  It wouldn't update.  I couldn't invoke an Avast Repair successfully, either.  Then, all of a sudden several things I had tried to click minutes earlier opened and their windows flickered repeatedly and all of a sudden the system seemed to be coming back to life.  I immediately and this time successfully opened Services and restarted the Avast Service.  All appeared OK.  At this juncture, I was honestly afraid to reboot to see if the system was OK or not.  But it has rebooted 3-4 times OK since, one attempt resulted in the blank screen.  But next attempt worked fine.  

I have no EARTHLY idea what was going on this morning!  But what I do know is that throughout all of this crisis, Comodo (with D+ enabled) said it was running just fine; avast5 said it was not running, as I would expect in Safe, but also in Normal mode.  Services properties kept saying Avast Service was "starting" (rather than "started").  This odd comment of "Starting" made me realize Avast never quite booted up properly for some reason....not only locked itself up.....but locked up Windows as well, and BIG TIME!  I tell you, I was about ready to get out my "Return to Out-of-Box State" Repair Disks to fix this problem, because despite repeated reboots, the pc was becoming less and less responsive.  But REALLY didn't want to have to take such drastic measures and have to reinstall/reconfigure.  My last complete system image was taken a month ago.  so I'm glad whatever was locked up finally unlocked itself, as nothing I had tried up to that point had worked.  

I'm beginning to think the Sandbox feature of Avast (which I had enabled a week or so ago) somehow "butted heads" with Comodo's internal "sandbox" technology at boot up and they both lost the tug of war!   Maybe Comodo and Avast5 were effectively trying to sandbox each other!   ???  Who knows!  Anyway, in the meantime, I've turned off the sandbox feature of Avast.  Hopefully that is what caused the nightmare and with it disabled, I can have my pc back.   :)

Any thoughts?  

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:26:22 AM by buttoni »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Bizarre PC behavior at first bootup today
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 08:41:14 PM »
Now this sounds frightening...
Running AIS on Win7Pro x64 here, nothing like that happened yet.
Interested in some devs answer though.  :o
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

buttoni

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 09:23:40 PM »
Hmm. Was just reading another thread where Tech was having problems after a System Restore, in which VLK replied:

Quote from: Tech on Today at 12:44:15 PM
After system restore, avast service does not load (can't be manually started), repair (Control panel) does not work, Fix button does nothing... There is still a bug...

This is because system restore messes up our files in the Setup folder. I.e. it reverts some of the files (but not all of them) to a previous state, leading to a bad inconsistency.

sounds like when I tried a system restore in Safe Mode first thing this morning, that happened to me, too, and Avast shut itself down and my pc was then reporting it was "unsecured".

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:32:31 PM »
Yeah, i've learned that already (thanks goodness only by reading, not by own experience): sys restore is not the best of ideas with avast5.  ;D
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

buttoni

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »
Well it was clearly not my only problem this morning, but it sure compounded my problem!

buttoni

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 11:34:31 PM »
Hmmmm.  No takers on this one? 

EntitY

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 11:46:36 PM »
I have used most free AVs and System Restore with these and none of them survive, so it's not only Avast 5. Sorry I can't help with your problem.

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 11:58:43 PM »
OK I've experienced twice a very similar issue, with some difference: I usually use AIS (all components including the firewall), wanted to test CIS 4 firewall. Worked fine once, after uninstalling the firewall part of AIS, before installing CIS 4. A second time, wanted to test that again but didn't bother uninstalling AIS firewall, just deactivated it and then installed CIS 4>>> two or three reboots later, I couldn't login anymore  ;D rebooted into safe mode to realize that I couldn't uninstall CIS...in safe mode. Then used system restore to sometime before all that mess and that was my only way out. Couple of weeks later, wanted to give CIS4 another chance...forgot what happened before :-[ >>> same thing, I couldn't login anymore. Retried another time, took care of properly uninstalling AIS firewall before installing CIS and then all went fine.
 So in my case, it just meant that the two firewalls conflicted, because one of them was just deactivated, and somehow still active still watching the traffic anyway). Since you said you run Avast Free, something else must conflict with Comodo, sometimes...didn't happen to me with just the AV components installed. So you're gonna have to troubleshoot that, but hey wait: in the beginning of your post you're saying that you're running the free version, and you're mentioning that you fear that the Avast sandbox could conflict with CIS sandbox...humm...Avast sandbox doesn't belong to the free version, it requires either Avast Pro or AIS, so what are you running exactly ???

My pc specs are in my signature.  For the record, I've been running the free Avast5 antivirus on a brand new Win7x64 machine since AV5's first release....

...I'm beginning to think the Sandbox feature of Avast (which I had enabled a week or so ago) somehow "butted heads" with Comodo's internal "sandbox" technology at boot up and they both lost the tug of war!   Maybe Comodo and Avast5 were effectively trying to sandbox each other!   ???  Who knows!  Anyway, in the meantime, I've turned off the sandbox feature of Avast.  Hopefully that is what caused the nightmare and with it disabled, I can have my pc back.   :)

Any thoughts?  

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:24:08 AM by Logos »

buttoni

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 12:19:47 AM »
I have Avast 5 Free Antivirus 5.0.462 installed.  Sorry, I misstated about turning Avast's sandbox on a week or so ago.  It was the Comodo Sandbox feature I turned on a week or so ago and Comodo's sandbox I have now turned off.  My bad.  

For some reason I thought Avast5 Antivirus free had the sandbox feature. But if not, then I wonder what in the heck could have locked up my system so badly that I had to resort to System Restore, as even Win7 wasn't responsive?  I have just what you see in my signature running realtime (MBAM is on-demand only) on this system.  

I'll probably never figure out what happened with my system getting so majorly locked up.  It has not happened since I disabled  Comodo's sandbox feature after numerous reboots.  But who know if that had a thing to do with my crisis or not.  Thanks for your reply.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:29:28 AM by buttoni »

buttoni

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 03:56:16 AM »
Well, I've had to do another system restore because my camera quit being recognized by Win7 all of a sudden.  Win7 said the "configuration info (in the registry) was incomplete or damaged (code19)".  Reinstalling drivers, camera software, uninstalling drivers....nothing would work for me.  This was out of the clear blue, too, as the camera was recognized just fine a few days ago. Once again System Restore crashed my Avast5 free antivirus and I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get things running again.  So I've had it, I'm afraid.  Been using Avast 4 years and love it, but I just can't do without my System Restore.  BTW my System Restore fixed my camera issues.   :)  But Avast was disabled in the process, for the second time in less than a week! I'm afraid after two serious incidents such as this, I just decided to uninstall Avast for good, or at least until this bug is fixed.  I simply must have my System Restore.  It's saved my rear end more than once.   This is just an unacceptable bug for me.  Guess I'll go back to MSE for now.  Maybe check back in a few months to see if this serious bug has been fixed, as I really think Avast is/WAS a better product than MSE overall.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 03:58:17 AM by buttoni »