Author Topic: Which action settings to use  (Read 2754 times)

Dch48

Which action settings to use
« on: May 11, 2010, 11:25:55 PM »
I play a few games that go into full screen mode. Since Avast! will enter the silent mode when this happens, which settings should I choose for actions of the various scanners. I had them all set to ask but I'm concerned what would happen if a virus was found while I was in full screen since it says no alerts will show. I play World of Warcraft and Team Fortress 2 a lot and they make numerous internet connections. Should I set actions to say Move to Chest and which shields should be set that way? Or is leaving them all set to ask okay?

Hermite15

Re: Which action settings to use
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:11:05 AM »
my guess, 'cause I never tried it: silent mode would override any setting in any shield and send to chest obviously ;D that should be the purpose of this mode, otherwise it would be called something else than "silent" ;)
 Imagine that you got any shield set to ask, you won't get the pop up in silent mode, so it doesn't really make sense ;D ...and I doubt an alert would be waiting for you when you exit the full screen mode...okay I'm not sure what happens...if the shields settings aren't overridden by the silent mode, then you could  choose an action in case the first one can't be fulfilled.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:31:46 AM »
I too haven't tried it, but I don't believe it would override the settings that have been set, it would just carry them out silently.

However, if you have them set to Ask that would be difficult to carry out silently, so I don't know if that would be classed as a fail and move on to the second option and should that fail on to the final option. So I don't know if you have also changed the 2nd and 3rd options in the shields to say 1. Ask, 2. send to Chest, 3. No Action.

Then there is the $64,000 question what happens when you close the game/full screen application, would you be presented with list awaiting action.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 12:55:11 AM »
The actions taken will be the ones set into the avast shield settings.
If you set "ask", I think the file will be blocked (not executed).
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 03:44:31 AM »
Which shields would detect a virus while in a full screen game that is accessing the Internet, both in and outcoming? I know the chances of encountering anything while in a game that previously was clean are very small but still I guess there is a chance..

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 03:55:40 AM »
It could be any number of the shields depends on what else you might be doing in the background, these are the most likely. The File System Shield, Web Shield (Abort connection is the default and that should be fine drops the infected object) or Network Shield (no option in the network shield).

Whilst you are on-line for what ever reason there is potential.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security