Author Topic: Avast Free Antivirus will not update!  (Read 6787 times)

mster

Avast Free Antivirus will not update!
« on: May 10, 2010, 10:03:15 PM »
I started out with version 5.0.507.0 upgraded to Beta 5.0.542.0, and now I have upgraded to 5.0.545.0 (the latest).

Avast won´t update anything. It does not update automatic and it does not update when I´m setting it to manual and push the update button.
It says:
"Step 1/2
Initializing, please wait.."
..and nothing happens - nothing at all.

In the settings i´m set to "computer has a permanent connection"
The proxy is correct set to Direct (No Proxy).
I have disabled my firewall and I have shut down my firewall (comodo).

Cannot get the update to work.

My system is: Win XP, SP3.
And my date/time settings is correct.

I can´t find any log to post, is there any?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast Free Antivirus will not update!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 10:12:37 PM »
In the settings i´m set to "computer has a permanent connection"
Try removing this

The proxy is correct set to Direct (No Proxy).
Try Auto detect (use internet explorer settings)

mster

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:53:09 PM »
Thank´s for youre answer. I tried your suggestions, but no success. Doesn´t update.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:57:15 PM »
Two firewalls at the same time?
Remove the entries into Comodo settings and try allowing avast again to connect.
The best things in life are free.

mster

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:13:11 PM »
Two firewalls at the same time?
Remove the entries into Comodo settings and try allowing avast again to connect.

Nope I just have one Firewall. I have Avast Antivirus and Comodo Firewall. I have set every instance of Avast as trusted. I have also disabled and totally shut down the firewall (comodo). But Avast wont update - so I don´t think it´s the firewall stopping Avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:14:11 PM »
Nope I just have one Firewall. I have Avast Antivirus and Comodo Firewall. I have set every instance of Avast as trusted. I have also disabled and totally shut down the firewall (comodo). But Avast wont update - so I don´t think it´s the firewall stopping Avast.
Believe us... firewall blocks... Delete the avast entries into Comodo settings. Boot. Try again.

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 11:21:21 PM »
I don't have CIS installed anymore but I had recently and the firewall never blocked Avast. Avast is first in the list of trusted vendors so no issue with Def+, all avast processes are allowed to connect (including avast.setup), either following an alert or automatically, depending on the firewall mode, so...the only (minor) issue that I know of is that avast.setup being generated temporarily, if you purge the firewall and def+ rules, its permissions will be removed.But it's not blocked.You're prompted again when needed.

mster

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 12:02:12 AM »
Believe us... firewall blocks... Delete the avast entries into Comodo settings. Boot. Try again.

I stand corrected. Here´s what I did (if someone else get the same problem);

- I cleaned out all entries of Avast/Alwil in "Network Security Policy" in Comodos Advanced Firewall settings, rebooted - This did not change anything.
- I then cleaned out all entries of Avast/Alwil in "Computer Security Policy" in Comodos Defence+ settings, restarted Avast - This did work.

The firewall automatically started to learn a lot of stuff again - and let it through. UPDATE worked =)

For the protocol ;) - I stated out that I had disabled and also shut down the Comodo Firewall (I did - did not help), but I did not try to disable the Comodo Defence+ - kinda forgot :P.

Thanks for helping me out  :)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:09:57 AM by mster »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 12:48:37 AM »
Well... firewall or hips, it was it...
Glad you could solve ;)

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 12:57:32 AM »
So the blocking was in Def+, must have been manually blocked before, wouldn't have happened otherwise (may be an alert that wasn't answered, I think it's set to "block" by default if it times out).