Author Topic: Nasty Virus  (Read 5090 times)

eyemay

Nasty Virus
« on: June 28, 2010, 08:20:59 PM »
I just upgraded my units to the Pro and it is fine. However, my daughter's machine was hit by a nasty virus and it controls a lot of functions and wants her to upgrade her AV. Her Avast expired a little while back and she was unable to renew or upgrade. We have Win XP running on that unit but cannpt do a restore as that has been knocked out. Any way to blast that Virus out or is it too late?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Nasty Virus
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 08:22:40 PM »
Read the instructions, download and burn (maybe from another computer), finally use one of this rescue CD's:
1. Dr. Web
2. Avira
3. BitDefender
4. Kaspersky
5. F-Secure

You can check also this comparison article.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 09:41:35 PM »
However, my daughter's machine was hit by a nasty virus and it controls a lot of functions and wants her to upgrade her AV
Does this rogue/fake AV have a name ? if so we may be able to find a removal guide for it !

eyemay

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 12:21:17 AM »
I did the download and made the boot disk from Dr.Web and it did boot and gave the options. When I went with the regular default version it indicated it was preparing but just sat there. Next time I went to Safe Mode and this started but then indicated /sbin/init:no such file. It doesn't look like this one will get it done and I may try the next program.
I'll try to get the name of one of the virus that was ided but it seems there were lots of names thrown out.

eyemay

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 12:39:02 AM »
the virus we have (at least one of them) is named BankerFox.A

I  am wondering about this>>>    I have a completely fresh version of the Avast Pro that I just bought and downloaded and have used it on only one computer. It is capable of working on three.   It is on a jump drive and I can read that jump drive with the computer in question. Could I not install that program on the attacked computer and see if it can locate the culprits and shoot em down? 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 01:42:27 AM »
you may try this one

VIPRE Rescue Program  http://live.sunbeltsoftware.com/

eyemay

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 04:48:59 AM »
None of these really worked until I downloaded and ran MalewareBytes in Safe Mode. It found the culprits and did em in and all is well in OK Corral. Thanks

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 11:30:11 AM »

It is good to know that your problem has been resolved.   :)