Author Topic: some problems installing .NET updates  (Read 5469 times)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
some problems installing .NET updates
« on: July 03, 2010, 03:54:21 PM »

I posted a while ago - 'And partly because for the first time  I am having update problems with IE (the kb979909 issue, which is .NET downloads), if I don't solve soon and with easy method (no uninstall) then I will probably post the problem to the forum'. 

Well I did run a Repair of the XP installation, and also uninstalled and reinstalled .NET Framework as part of the general bringing up top date procedures.

I have managed to install what were the problem updates to the .NET framework, but the issue seems to have transported itself across the update spectrum, that is to say, as new downloads became available and would not install, some older, previous stubbornly resistant downloads like KB979906 and KB979909 did actual auto install at shutdown, and then in their place the newer downloads would not install.   

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1fmGQFtu9NTtwImJQVw4fQ?feat=directlink

It is only one system that is having these problems, and I do see now that there appears many fixes available for resolve of the issue, (but as yet I havent followed them up). However, why should this computer download updates that are not appropriate for this system? I just don't get it!

also seems parasites may be preying on the fringes - take a look at the obscure website that is returned by a google search of NDP20SP2-KB974417 - okay the actual install package is NDP20SP2-KB974417.msp and a search of this will return a whole raft of genuine responses. But take care with the first search keyword that I gave out because the website generates an avast block / detection.
I leave it up to you.

And to cap things off, Microsoft download center doesn't seem able to find this update.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86  -  http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/btsCFyPCk_f41PiY1CjTkg?feat=directlink

There may be a perfectly good reason for this, but for the time being I am all out of patience. I'm going back to using one of the computers that does update smoothly. I've got other things to do.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: some problems installing .NET updates
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 04:32:43 PM »
Any update of the .NET framework will take a couple of days/hours. Depends on the using of your machine. As recoding of some files would be needed. Look if mscorsvw.exe is running on your system...!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 10:00:31 AM »
yes, mscorsvw.exe is running. thank you for reply.

Possibly what we have at issue – that is, what I need do to ultimate resolve – is an uninstall and reinstall of Microsoft Installer, which I have not tackled other than on the basic level (which I supposed would be enough). I'm ready to go ahead with this task, but I want to first troubleshoot what have been some other irregular behaviors, so that when I do reinstall MS Installer, I will only have to do it the once.

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:36:47 AM »
(Apologies for double posting this reply - seemed the best option)
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=52252.msg519556#msg519556

I seem to have solved my issue concerning updates to .NET Framework.

I'm sorry but I cannot inform whether had anything to do with 'Attacks on the Windows Help and Support Center Vulnerability (CVE-2010-1885)', despite my suspicion that something had gone amiss in Microsoft Update routine. Ultimately, I reinstall / upgrade Windows Installer using the following link -

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Then I installed the remaining .NET downloads. The install process seemed labored but did complete with KB974417 being the final install. I was informed by Microsoft Update that I had hidden this install for the time being, something which I cannot recall doing, or in fact do not know how to do. (but in the heat of a moment I may have been presented with an option and followed the recommendation).

Now for Trojan:Win32/Orsam!rts -
figuring I had an MS issue and so could be solved by MS itself, I downloaded and ran Microsoft Security Essentials, which generated the orsam detection when I chose to run the Internet Explorer browser at one stage. As far as I can tell - but almost certainly - the orsam detection was a False Positive generated by having both MSE and avast!antivirus running as resident on the same system.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 05:41:42 AM by mkis »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 12:57:53 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, mkis...!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 05:15:07 PM »
That's fine. I got some screenshots and kept rough record.

No problems with avast throughout