Author Topic: Adding programs to be shielded  (Read 3959 times)

Tweakerz

Adding programs to be shielded
« on: July 22, 2010, 07:36:40 AM »
Is there some way to add programs not currently listed in the shields area via some editing of a file as I can plainly see there is not GUI based method to add to the existing list of applications? Since I am used to making modifications to Opera in such an extensive manner at times I figure it might just be possible with Avast to do similarly. An example would be to add PopPeeper (free lightweight mail checker/manager) to the list of email clients. I'm fairly certain the answer is simply no or that perhaps in the future but it is important enough to me that I ask, thank you to any and all that take the time to read and/or comment.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Adding programs to be shielded
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 08:52:55 PM »
Is there some way to add programs not currently listed in the shields area via some editing of a file as I can plainly see there is not GUI based method to add to the existing list of applications?

Yes. ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Tweakerz

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 05:20:34 AM »
Should I assume then that this is an added feature when using the paid version seeing as the free version has no GUI based option for such an action?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 01:28:57 PM »
Should I assume then that this is an added feature when using the paid version seeing as the free version has no GUI based option for such an action?

No, also works for the free version, afaik. Search the forum to find related threads.
If I remember right, David knows which files to tweak... (maybe PM him)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 02:48:56 PM »
You don't need to add programs, specially mail ones. avast Mail Shield monitors the email protocols and ports, not the program itself.
The same for Web Shield for the majority of the common browsers.

But there is a way to add them manually to Web Shield with the OptIn value of the [WebScanner] section (C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\WebShield.ini).
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 02:57:48 PM »
if wanted (although absolutely useless imo), such programs like download managers can use the web shield by adding the optin thing in webshield.ini (nothing to do with having downloads scanned by an on demand scanner, set in the DM options, useless too as the file shield does it anyway).

example: OptinProcess=*.exe and specifying 127.0.0.1 or localhost on port 12080 in the DM proxy settings.

The downside is that then, for the current DM example, your DM won't be able to download from other sources than http. Remains the option to not set that globally, but each time for each download. Time consuming and again, not very useful.

@ the OP: POPpeeper works with the mail shield, there's nothing to do. The mail shield will detect and scan any POP/IMAP/SMTP client.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 03:03:37 PM by Logos »

Tweakerz

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 09:02:34 PM »
I actually did attempt times to do a search more than once and found no useful information so I decided to just ask, the info provided was very useful and I thank you all for the information. Good to know it isn't needed but more than anything I was curious since the lists of supported programs was pretty good but there was no option to add additional programs which seemed a bit odd. I say this cause I like to have options to change pretty much anything I might want to, thanks again.