Author Topic: Acer makes the shoddiest laptops, according to IT professionals  (Read 11621 times)

Hermite15

Re: Acer makes the shoddiest laptops, according to IT professionals
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 10:48:36 PM »
Acer is a Taiwanese company and I am not pleased with it.

you must be kidding ::) best PC components are made and conceived there, what's your problem ??? ::)
Maybe because there aren't too many Christian Geeks in that country ???    ;D ;D ;D

yeah... infidels :o

stillme

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 11:10:51 PM »
i would partially agree with most of the replies so far.

In the end you get what you pay for. If you pay sub 500 for a notebook, don't expect it to be great.
Personally I prefer a Lenovo Notebook for Business use, they are really durable and really reliable. Never had any problems...
I use a T410 at the moment and it is far better than anything else i have had so far.

Dch48

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 01:37:44 AM »
Acer is a Taiwanese company and I am not pleased with it.

you must be kidding ::) best PC components are made and conceived there, what's your problem ??? ::)
Maybe because there aren't too many Christian Geeks in that country ???    ;D ;D ;D
That was uncalled for and as a Christian myself, I find it offensive.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 07:26:12 AM »
2 years ago we bought an Acer 15.6" laptop. At the time I was aware of the hearsay that Acer may not be the top brand but as a laptop is likely to be dropped, lost, stolen, trodden on, IMO it's best not to overcapitalize, and the Acer price (AU$470) was just amazing for a full-featured machine.
Fortunately it's still going strong.

2 months ago, I sourced another laptop for a client. This time a full-featured Celeron T3100 HP/Compaq 14", again less than $500.

My point is that while polls like this are a possibly-useful expression of collective opinion, and a favourable result may instigate a brief quiver of excitement to those who own one of the "better" brands (though, note how close to being "shoddiest" HP and Dell are on the pie chart), the results are so simplistically expressed without context in regard to the purchaser's requirements or financial resources, drawing hard and fast conclusions may be too big a step.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

roro

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 12:26:58 PM »
I have had 3 Gateways since Windows 95 up to 2003 and had very good luck.  My 2003 Averatec worked fine and is still working but it is slow, has a really crummy sound and a so so keyboard.  I bought it because it was the smallest laptop that I could afford at the time, and I wanted to bring it to Spain.  It has served its purpose and I still use it for my Magic Jack.  I have been happy with my 3 year old Windows 7 Dell so far.  I guess luck has a lot to do with how happy one is with his or her choice.
I would buy a Mac but they are still expensive in comparison to a Windows machine.

RoRo ::)

maddogf250

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 07:42:45 PM »
I was lucky and my first computer was built by a friend 4 years ago and is still running strong and able to run any program I need. If people just look into building a machine they will be better off in the long run ;D