Author Topic: Avast 5 ate my computer, lol  (Read 2533 times)

mittens

Avast 5 ate my computer, lol
« on: August 26, 2010, 03:41:30 PM »
im running win xp sp2, IE8, and have been using Avast  regularly 4.8 with no problems.  Last night the Avast screen popped up to tell  me my 4.8 would soon be worthless ("soon" meaning December) and I needed to upgrade.  It was right in front of me, so I decided to install the free version  and get that part over with. 
Not good.  It took an  hour to 'upgrade' and then said I needed to reboot. Which I did.  When the computer booted up my systray was gone. and none of my icons would work.  I clicked on the Avast icon, and it said the program was not installed, "click here". which i did. nothing happened.
I booted up again, and this time came up in safe mode. Booted up again, my icons were there, useless, and still no systray. I managed to get into the add/remove section, and when  I hit "remove" it began to 'install' itself.  Took an hour.  Then I got the message "not installed" again.
I could only turn off the machine by pushing the button on the tower.

I never recieved a registration key, and yes I checked my junk mail folder and everything.  In order to make the computer run properly we had to use a backup to even access it.  needless to say I am very disappointed and surprised.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast 5 ate my computer, lol
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 04:00:34 PM »
Hi mittens and welcome to the forum, wish it was under better circumstances for yourself though. Seems to be issues with alot of computers of installing version 5 over 4, i recommend that the best way to do this would be to download the new version 5.0.594 and save it to somewhere you'll find again then download the avast removal tool and save, remove avast 4 via add remove programs and reboot then run the removal tool to clear out any leftovers and reboot, you'll then be safe to install avast 5.0.594 free.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 04:02:15 PM by craigb »

mittens

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 04:24:41 PM »
thanks, craig. Actually I did remove 4 before installing, and used RegistryFix to make sure the registry was clean of it.  My husband just installed 5 on a spare drive he had, with no problem.  It's just disappointing, since Ive always had such good luck with Avast. 
And of course now I get the daily popup from Avast suggesting that yes, you really need to upgrade now...*g*

I never did get a registry key,  and when I tried to register, it said I already was.  Not installed,  but by golly registered.

It could be a problem as simple as a misread by avast of one of my icons, or programs, or who knows.  computers and programs get notional sometimes.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 04:37:58 PM »
You don't recieve a key like you used to with 4, you now just register within the main interface, much simpler and faster. I would stil suggest cleaning out properly with the removal tool and then maybe a clean with ccleaner.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 04:42:43 PM by craigb »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 04:45:59 PM »
You should also upgrade to xp sp3 as sp2 is not supported anymore.

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 08:49:54 PM »
Its true!

Support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 ends on July 13, 2010
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean31