Author Topic: Virus found but virus chest not running or showing a communication error  (Read 2190 times)

vidar_ll

Received a link in chat windown while talking to g/f on msn yesterday, sunday, asking if this was me/them on pic so naturally opened it. Turned out she did not send it. That same link has since gone thru my MSN contact list and today moved to yahoo and now asking the same question about a pic. The link repeatedly returns when someone in the contact list comes on-line. When someone is on-line you cannot message them to warn them of the risk. It has even changed what was typed and replaced it with the rouge link. Went thru my contacts off-line to warn as many as I could. Several people on my contact lists are now getting back to me about this same virus.

Problem!  Avast has now located up to 3 folders which it has marked as High Risk and tells me for to move said folders to virus chest. However, when I click on 'Apply' the virus chest informs me: Error - Virus chest is not running. RPC communication failed (2147422219).
Running Avast! Program Version: 5.0.594
Virus Definition Version: 100906-0
Windows Vista with Service pack 2.

Have tried a few of the suggestions I came across on here - eg: Cleaning/empty temp folders and halting the back up system and rebooting etc ...but its still not helping.
Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

vidar_ll

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: Virus found but virus chest not running or showing a communication error
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »
There is a topic here with a similar problem. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=63335.0
see reply #10 where FreewheelinFrank suggest how to change the IM settings so you only recive messages from known contacts.

also try the tools suggested in #7