Author Topic: Impossible to open a windows session : is it a virus ?  (Read 3265 times)

Jay

Impossible to open a windows session : is it a virus ?
« on: August 09, 2004, 12:14:42 PM »
Hello,

Windows XP Pro SP1
Avast! Home edition (updated)

Since yesterday, it is impossible for me to open a Windows session on my home computer !!!

When I start my computer and I click on one of my accounts, the session is immediatly closed (I can only see the wallpaper of my desktop for 1 second and then the session is closed).

I've tried to start my computer in safe mode and use the admin account, but the result is the same  :'(

Is it a (un)known virus ?

How to scan my hard-disk if it is not possible to open a Windows session ?

Currently, I'm building a DOS Boot Disk with NTFS support at my office but I don't know which antivirus tool I can run with this disk ?

Please help  :'(

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Impossible to open a windows session : is it a virus ?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 01:01:45 PM »
Sounds more like a windows problem. But give the bootdisk a try. Avast has a free dos version which you can use. There is a thread with the key on it somewhere on this board. Not sure, but I think it was Technical who wrote about it.

But why not make it easy on yourself and just give the BART cd a try?
You can get a free evalution version which is fully working.

But have you already tried to boot into the "last know good configuration" and/or the repair option?

If you need to, read HERE how to perform a in-place-repair. You shouldn't loose data this way.

w0mbat

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 01:34:53 PM »
I agree with the 'over the top' install.

Sometimes the only way to repair XP is to reinstall. You do not have to wipe your partition and start over. Just as with previous versions of Windows you can install over top of an existing setup. This has the advantage of retaining your installed applications, data and settings. You will lose previously saved System Restore Points but System Restore will begin creating new restore points again immediately following the Repair Install. You will need to reinstall SP1a and any Critical Updates from the Windows Update Site. Be aware that a Repair Install will leave your system vulnerable to the Blaster and Welchia worms. Do not go on line until you have enabled XP's firewall first. Then visit the Windows Update Site to patch your system It is always prudent to backup important data before you make changes to XP.

There's more information at:

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How%20to%20Repair%20Windows%20XP%20by%20Installing%20Over%20top%20of%20Existing%20Setup:

The article is about 2/3 down the page.

this will use the current software keys of the registry.

just be sure to choose repair :)

w0mbat

Jay

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 02:08:04 PM »
Thanks for all these suggestions.

I'll try the 'over top' install this evening.

Jay