Author Topic: AOL Won't Connect After Latest WINDOWS Update  (Read 5474 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
AOL Won't Connect After Latest WINDOWS Update
« on: September 16, 2010, 04:11:51 PM »
Anyone else having problems after the latest WINDOWS Update?
I was doing fine yesterday.  When I shut down my computer last night, I opted to NOT have the Windows Updates install since I had to go to bed. 

This morning, after the Windows Updates were installed ...
My AOL will NOT connect whatsoever.  After 1 or 2 seconds, BAMM!  It gets kicked off.
I get one of those errors, which of course mean nothing to us.

I guess I'll have to try a System Restore a bit later.

Right now I'm back on my Windows 98SE Gateway computer.

Any particular Link to where I could find out if there is a problem with the latest Windows Update?
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: AOL Won't Connect After Latest WINDOWS Update [RESOLVED]
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 05:44:53 PM »
Okay, I have fixed the problem.
I did perform a System Restore to yesterday, but that didn't fix the problem.
I was about 10 seconds away from performing an AOL Reinstall.
Luckily, I decided to try one last thing before engaging in that.
I checked right there from AOL to see if my Modem was even showing up as detected.
My AOL showed there was NO MODEM.  :o
So, I just clicked on Find Modem.
And VOILA!  My Modem was detected and I could now connect with my AOL again.

Now I have a follow up question.
Since my WINDOWS Updates that were installed this morning were now wiped out by my System Restore to yesterday ... will they be automatically downloaded AGAIN ... TODAY?  This way I can install them this evening.  Or do I have to click on some Button to have them download again now that I wiped them out?  (I do have Automatic Windows Updates set to ON.)
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

SafeSurf

Re: AOL Won't Connect After Latest WINDOWS Update
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:59:37 AM »
AOL has been doing almost daily upgrades, which I deny (on my family's machines) because IMO it is cr*p-ware, but I need it for dial-up.

I haven't had a problem getting on AOL.  You're other option is to try using the AOL webmail (if you don't need dial-up) https://my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/login/login.psp?seamless=novl&locale=us&offerId=newmail-en-us-v2&siteState=ver%3A4|rt%3ASTANDARD|at%3ASNS|ld%3Abeta.webmail.aol.com|uv%3AAOL|lc%3Aen-us|mt%3AAOL|snt%3AScreenName|sid%3Ab883b03c-d86d-4734-9d84-401a83655a21&authLev=0&sitedomain=sns.beta.webmail.aol.com&lang=en ...only AOL can come up with a long url and you have to enable flash for it to work.  :P

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: AOL Won't Connect After Latest WINDOWS Update
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 04:25:15 PM »
Almost daily AOL Upgrades?  Hmmm?  Well that's odd, SafeSurf.
I haven't been prompted for an AOL Upgrade in ages.  Unless it's really only on the newer versions.  I have a really old version of AOL ... AOL 9.0 Security Edition.  I've had this same version for around 4 or 5 years.  So yeah, there have been newer AOL versions since then.

Anyway, this AOL IS my ISP.  So that's why I NEED it to be working.  If my AOL won't connect, I don't have Internet.  Once I connect to AOL, I then minimize it and use Opera Browser.  I of course also use the AOL E-mail portion of AOL.