Author Topic: Decompression bomb in google chrome cache!  (Read 3048 times)

Sanoitakeda

Decompression bomb in google chrome cache!
« on: October 23, 2010, 04:38:13 AM »
So, I ran a scan today and found that there was an item that couldn't be scanned. Under it read Error: The file is a decompression bomb. I believe that a decompression bomb is just a really big file but I'm not sure if this is totally true. Help?

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
Re: Decompression bomb in google chrome cache!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 05:52:59 AM »
So, I ran a scan today and found that there was an item that couldn't be scanned. Under it read Error: The file is a decompression bomb. I believe that a decompression bomb is just a really big file but I'm not sure if this is totally true. Help?

Hi Sanoitakeda,

Ohaiyo Gonzaimas,

You may submit to virustotal.com to know what is the result of others antivirus in there.

cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Decompression bomb in google chrome cache!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 08:14:16 AM »

You're quite right..! ;)
asyn

- decompression bomb is just something that unpacks to an unusually big amount of data even though it's rather small (i.e. has a high compression ratio, for example). It's nothing to worry about, you are just informed that avast! will not try to unpack the archive (you may not even know that it's an archive, but it seems like it is) because it may take VERY long to process.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0