Author Topic: ashDisp.exe  (Read 5705 times)

W2

ashDisp.exe
« on: August 13, 2004, 12:46:28 AM »
Am running Avast 4.1
    For the past few days I have been unable to shut down my computer without first using the Task Manager to 'end task' for ashDisp.exe.  Have tried the 'repair' option in Control/Add or Remove Programs/Avast Antivirus! to no avail.
Blue ball is still in system tray, no problem. Have double clicked the ashDisp.exe icon in: Explorer/Program Files/Alwil/Avast Folder, ashDisp.exe.  That did nothing to help shut down. My Avast program is up to date with
4.1.418 - VSP v.0433-2.  I think this started to happen after an automatic update to the Avast vsp file or the program file.  Anybody got a clue?  Thanks.  W2

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:ashDisp.exe
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 12:54:31 AM »
This behaviour happens quiet a lot. But not only with Avast, also with all kinds of other applications. It is likely a "bug/error" in Windows. It would very much surprise me if it was the same "bug" in all those applications (and I've seen it with over 200!) ;D

I've been able to solve it several times. But was unable to find a "standard" solution sofar. Two things sofar have solved it in many cases.

1) Make sure the system is clean (click on the link in my signature and do as explained on that page)
2) Check what is loading at boottime and disable all that isn't needed for the system to work properly this is a usefull util for that

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 04:24:20 AM »
Wellcome  8)

Which is your operational system?
Can you repair your avast installation (Control Panel)?
Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?
The best things in life are free.

W2

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 08:05:46 PM »
E.  I have had all the requisite programs in place to protect my computer for many years now.
Kerio Personla Firewall
Avast Antivirus! On Access Scanner
(I also have the Avast virus remover downloaded but not installed)
SpyBot SD Resident
 SpyWare Blaster
and AdAware.
All are updated every few days, or automatically in the case of Avast.
I have all of Windows Update Critical Downloads for Windows XP Home and Windows Office Suite.
I have never had an infection of my Dell Dimension 4300. Pentium 4/1.60GHz/80GB It is partitioned to one primary and one extended drive with three logical drives.
I backup my OS Drive C to an external Hard Drive once a month with Acronis 6 True Image and eveything else with BackUp My PC by Veritas.
I run all the above programs and WinXP's DskChk and Defrag before I back up.  I really do think this problem occurred after a Avast update of the vps file. Thanks for your advise. I will keep looking for a solution.    

W2

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 03:52:54 PM »
Wellcome  8)

Which is your operational system?
Can you repair your avast installation (Control Panel)?
Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?
Sir.  My OS is WinXP-Home Edition, I have tried the repair option in Add or Remove programs. I have only Avast as my anti-virus software.  I have re-installed Avast and my system shut down ok twice and then the problem started again. It also happens when I try to put the system to sleep. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. It is very annoying and also slows down my machine.  Thanks. W2

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 04:15:01 PM »
Try this:

Remove Avast using THIS utillity.
Reboot
Reinstall Avast

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 09:06:32 PM »
W2, I can't imagine by the symptoms you described why this is happening...
Maybe following what Eddy said (which is a little bit more than the repair function).
Did you change the time to wait for 'hung/crashed' programs on shutdown? Or the services timeout? (default is 20 seconds).
The best things in life are free.

W2

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2004, 05:09:15 AM »
W2, I can't imagine by the symptoms you described why this is happening...
Maybe following what Eddy said (which is a little bit more than the repair function).
Did you change the time to wait for 'hung/crashed' programs on shutdown? Or the services timeout? (default is 20 seconds).
Hi.  I don't know how to change the time for 'hung/crashed' programs, so no, not intentionally.  All the other processes close properly in Task Manager before shut-down.
I did try Eddy's 'uninstall' utility.  Like the other solutions, the computer shut down normally twice and then the problem reoccured.  At this point, I am going to move on to a different anti-virus progam and will try reinstalling Avast after Windows SP 2 has been vetted and I have updated my system. Thanks for all you helpful suggestions, it was a pleasure to find such sympathetic mates. Regards W2