Author Topic: How to stop Avast reminder of update  (Read 6124 times)

Boothbay

How to stop Avast reminder of update
« on: November 28, 2010, 08:33:35 PM »
I just installed the update about a week or so ago, and now, each time i boot up, i am constantly reminded with a female voice ( nothing wrong with that ) that i had updated. Why? How do i get rid of that pest announcement?

Probzzie

Re: How to stop Avast reminder of update
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 08:34:43 PM »
You can right click the A in your taskbar and change to Silent/Gaming mode. It will update but not notify you.
Avast constantly updates its Virus database because they are new threats identified everyday so to ensure best protection Avast updates to secure your system against these new threats.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 08:39:02 PM by Bigbear_0488 »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:56:38 PM »
You can right click the A in your taskbar and change to Silent/Gaming mode. It will update but not notify you.
Avast constantly updates its Virus database because they are new threats identified everyday so to ensure best protection Avast updates to secure your system against these new threats.

This would prevent any notifications from showing, and is not the ideal solution.

A better option would just be to suppress the update notification which can be done in the settings (see images)

Scott

Probzzie

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 08:59:15 PM »
Apologies, Thanks I learned something new!
You rock Scott!

Offline Radioman

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 02:01:57 AM »
Hi to all
         I just changed over yesterday (Saturday).....I had been using Norton for 10 year's until it finally developed a problem that I could not live with...lol I am MUCH happier with this program, however I am reading the replies to the question regarding "stopping the update notification" and there is something I don't understand. It is true that by UNCHECKING the proper boxes the notification can indeed be stopped...I hear it myself when I boot up....BUT.....WHEN I DO HEAR A NOTIFICATION DOES THAT MEAN THAT IT IS A NEW UPDATE (VERSUS THE LAST TIME I STARTED THE MACHINE OR DOES IT KEEP REFERRING TO THE SAME ONE????? In the ORIGINAL STATEMENT it says that an update was put in about a week ago and he DOES NOT want to hear the announcement....PERSONALLY...I DONT MIND...as long as it's referring to a NEW update. It doesn't make sense to me that it would be referring to an OLDER one.
          I would greatly appreciate an explanation, as like I said..I don't mind the notification at all...in fact I LIKE IT!!!...LOL ;D

Thanks, Radioman         

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 03:12:42 AM »
The notification is telling you that 'it has just downloaded and installed' the latest virus definitions (Virus Database has been updated), avast checks for updates once you have an internet connection available. If you have broadband, then shortly after boot it will be available.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 04:27:16 AM »
Typically Avast will update the virus database once or twice daily.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 04:32:43 AM »
Personally I don't see what the BIG thing is??? Thats just me though ;)