Author Topic: infections not being removed by avast  (Read 2397 times)

tsk_4

infections not being removed by avast
« on: December 08, 2010, 06:14:14 AM »
my flash drives are seemingly infected with "Win32:Malware-gen" and "bv autorun-am wrm". i keep getting repetitive pop ups from avast that a threat has been detected, but when i scan only 1 infection is shown, even when i proceed to delete that the pop ups continue and subsequent use yields the same thing. i am desperate for a solution, because it's really becoming a bother everytime i use my flash drive. thanks for the help guys

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: infections not being removed by avast
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 07:07:48 AM »
Try this

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.50 http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
always update the program before you scan so you have latest database
click the remove selected button to quarantine any infections found
please post the scan log here

SafeSurf

Re: infections not being removed by avast
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 09:40:50 AM »
In addition to what Pondus posted and we are awaiting your MBAM log, you can also do the following:

1. Format or cleanse your USB / flash drive: Right click from Windows Explorer and do a full format to cleanse your USB flash drive.

2. Download and install Panda USB Vaccine for USB devices
http://research.pandasecurity.com/panda-usb-and-autorun-vaccine/ and it can be run on any drive on your machine for removable devices.  You are given the option to "vaccinate" your machine....click "Yes/OK", which means to disable autoruns from infecting your machine again, and you can enable it again (although I wouldn't).  Plus you can "vaccinate" any USB/flash or removable device so that it cannot infect your machine.  This type of malware is easily transmittable because many people use USB's.  This will prevent any autorun.inf malware from spreading in your machine.

Once we review your MBAM log, we can give you additional instructions.  Thank you.