Author Topic: Resident Protection...  (Read 3746 times)

Gabe

Resident Protection...
« on: August 20, 2004, 09:51:49 AM »
In the resident protection, I only have two installed providers.  Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.  Are the following supposed to be there also: Standard Shield, Script Blocking, Instant Messaging and P2P Shield?  I see they are listed in the help menu in the resident protection providers.  I'm sorry I am clueless and asking a lot of stupid questions , it's just that I have just never used avast before and I am accustomed to Norton doing everything for me.  I heard from a lot of people that avast was better, so I wanted to give it a try.  Thanks in advance...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Resident Protection...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 10:06:50 AM »
Of course, it depends on what you want/need, but I think the other providers really should be installed - especially Standard Shield (which is the main part of the resident protection - it protects the files on your hard disk). I suggest to go to the Control Panel / Add/Remove programs, select avast! Antivirus / Change and check the missing providers to be added to your installation.

Outlook/Exchange provider protects only the full Microsoft Outlook (so you don't need it if you don't use the full Outlook), Internet Mail protects Outlook Express and most of the other e-mail clients.
The need for Instant Messaging and P2P Shield depends on whether you use any IM or P2P programs. Script Blocking is used for protection of Internet Explorer / Netscape / Mozilla browsers (in Professional version only).

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 10:33:01 AM »
As Igor said, certain providers like the p2p and script blocking are only in the PRO version, not in the HOME version.

There has to be a difference between them ;D

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 10:50:34 AM »
I think you're slightly wrong - the only additional provider in Professional version is Script Blocker; P2P Shield should be available in Home version as well.
Anyway, the question was if the additional providers are important to have - and I was trying to explain that Standard Shield certainly is.

Gabe

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 10:52:43 AM »
I found the problem.  I had disabled Norton, and avast still detected it.  I uninstalled norton and now everything is working.  Thanks for the help though.   And yes Eddy, I did look in the manual...LOL! ;D

Negeltu

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 11:11:18 AM »
P2P is in my home version..