Author Topic: I am a new user with a firewall problem, anyone help me please?  (Read 2704 times)

JJ1955

I am a new user with a firewall problem, anyone help me please?
« on: January 11, 2011, 11:31:50 AM »
I have just upgraded from the free trial software and everything seems to be working except that it says the firewall module is not running. I have tried turning the firewall on in the firewall section but a dialogue box comes back with 'Unable to start the firewall, shield unreachable' message.

I have checked the Windows security centre page from mp PC control panel and it said that Windows firewall was running so I tried disabling this and then turning the Avast firewall on but I got the same message. The windows security page reports for the antivirus section that Avast reports it is running fine.

Before I installed Avast I had a AVG trial software running but I uninstalled this software.

Many thanks

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: I am a new user with a firewall problem, anyone help me please?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 11:48:33 AM »
Try this

Run AVG removal tool and reboot  n#02a  http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/   OBS: there is 32bit and 64bit

Then try avast repair and reboot

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

did it work ?

JJ1955

Re: I am a new user with a firewall problem, anyone help me please?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 12:30:59 PM »
Hi Pondus,

Thanks for your reply.

I downloaded and used the AVG tool and went to repair the file from the control panel, add/remove programmes and I noticed that it was Avant free software in the program list, I clicked it anyway and a message came up telling me that I was trying to use the wrong file, I looked for another Avant file and there was none listed.

At this point I decided to uninstall Avant and restart from scratch including the license file into the new installation and now all is working fine.

It appears to be something to do with trying to go straight from the trial version or maybe I just did something wrong, anyway a fresh installation of the full software seems to have done the trick.

Many thanks