Author Topic: boot sectors scan  (Read 2337 times)

emilemma

boot sectors scan
« on: January 14, 2011, 11:51:38 PM »
can anyone tell me if boot sectors get scanned when specifying a drive to be scanned,(in a custom scan for example) like C:\, or W:\  etc... i noticed that when doing a command line scan you can specify the /M option and boot sectors & memory are scanned, but there is no /M option when setting up a custom scan, only the "memory" option is available....does this option by any chance also scan the drive boot sectors as well as memory??... if not can anyone tell me how to set up a boot sectors scan using the "set up custom scan" option...

thanks much   ???

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: boot sectors scan
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 12:21:11 AM »
I don't really understand why you insist on scanning the boot-sector, and even create a new thread about it, when I told you in the other thread that it's useless.

No, there's no /m option in the usual GUI, and it's not possible to scan all the boot-sectors at once, not even using the custom scan. You'd have to create a custom scan and enter special areas like
"*BOOTC"
"*BOOTD"
"*BOOTW"
... etc.
into the scan areas (including the quotation marks), for all the disks you want to scan the boot sectors of.

emilemma

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 02:48:27 AM »
i,m certainly sorry that you are upset because i started a new thread about boot sectors... perhaps if you had supplied this info the first time i would not have had to ask the question again... with reference to the utility of scanning boot sectors... if it is useless then why is there an option from the command line (/M) for doing it??  i insist on doing it because i like to be thorough and complete.... and it certainly cannot be of any harm as far as i can see...

i bought and paid for avast pro... i think that entitles me to address the forum with questions, even tho that may require asking the same question until i receive the correct answer... if that is not the case please advise(if you have that authority) and i will not re-purchase avast in the future and will not bother you with questions on this forum..

you have a nice day sir..

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 03:06:44 AM »
That option has been there for years - since the times when boot viruses were used, and there wasn't really any need to remove it. Besides, it's also scanning the modules loaded in memory (which might actually be why the switch is called "M", and what's the useful part of that switch).

I am not saying that you can't ask, sure you can... just that your effort/time devoted to find out isn't really worth the result you get, because the classical scanning of boot sectors is pointless these days.
Anyway, if you want to scan them from the command line together with other areas, then the easiest thing, as I already said in the other thread, is to specify multiple areas, including /m - without using the --task switch. If you want to include it in a task definition, you'd have to use the hack described above.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:08:46 AM by igor »